Drug testing.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Jun 30, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I read in another members post here about him having to give a drug test at his new job.

Thought to myself how disagreeable I feel about this and it actually quite wound me up.If it's absolutely necessary for the job then fine, but most jobs their's no reason I can see why this should be brought in.

Anyway wasn't going to post anything, as I thought nevermind it shouldn't happen in the UK that we all start getting tested for drugs for pretty much no reason whatsoever.
    Just a minute a go I happened upon this article at my local jobsite:

Call to limit "invasive" drug testing at work

I agree with the ending statement in that article about drinking alcohol being worse, or of more concern, more widespread than drug taking.

Btw I don't take illegal drugs, it's the principle of invasion of privacy that really get's my goat:x

2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I agree with you on that one, but I do think that it is necesary in some case's like the armed forces and police.

t seem's to be becoming more and more common here in Canada. I have two friends, one works at the airport, and another who works in a hardware store that have test's taken regularly. I can somewhat understand the airport, but in a hardware store!?!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

this is the land of the free remember flex (read: USA)
    drug testing seems common in most jobs :)
    hell I think Walmart do random drug tests

i'm not quite sure how its an invasion of privacy, its illegal to do most drugs in both countries, and its no different than a criminal record check, they want to see if you break the law!

but it hardly counts towards 'freedom', something the US will be celebrating in a few days, whilst continually hacking away at civil liberties and rights

Idaho Public Smoking ban goes into effect on the 1st of July, our local eatery has changed its status from 'public' to 'private club' requiring membership to eat there, so they can maintain there smoking section

I dont smoke, but i have no problem with people smoking in designated areas, as long as they are adequatly seperated (this is not the case in the majority of places, one side of banister, smoking, the other side, non smoking, go figure)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice point you raise, Flex ...

I guess I don't feel too strongly about it, or not maybe as much as you. OK, so I don't do the illegal stuff either, but I'm fairly open about certain "banned substances".

However, I would like to feel comfortable knowing that those who were responsible for certain tasks of major responsibility were certainly not "under the influence", eg doctors, pilots, etc.

Saying that, the incidences of mis-use by so-called "responsible professionals" are quite alarming.

At this stage, I'm not really falling on either side, but I DO understand the need for testing in certain areas.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Geez quick responses.[​IMG]

So it seem's that some people wouldn't mind being told to p in a bottle, without any reasonable justification.

Just to reiterate, I do agree that when the job needs it to be done for safety reasons etc, that's[​IMG]

But just for a normal job such as IT helpdesk, no way:!:

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It seems that over here in the "Land of the Free" we have less "rights" than on the other side of the pond. We also take it pretty much for granted. I've had many urinanalysis tests in my life as well as having had my fingerprints taken many times over the years. It's annoying but I don't get too wound up about it. Usually, you only have to do drug testing when you are first hired, then they leave you alone...unless you give them reason to suspect that you're using.

I read my employee's manual last night. A laundry list of how many rights my employer has and how few I have. In actuality, the employer almost never exercises all of their rights as far as getting into your business. Just don't give them a reason to go through your drawers and plunder your hard drive.

Certifications: A+ and Network+