Dropping in to say hi

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

hi guys its been awhile, thought I'd drop in and say hi let you guys know I'm still alive (touches wood). I pretty much abandoned the cert path and I am currently aiming to complete a degree in computing through distance learning university, just feel this is the path for me, it's a long path and quite expensive but I think it will help me in life generally as it will open doors to not just tech support but also web/software dev and I like to be versatile and keep my options open. I can see surprisingly not a lot of activity since I was last on, but I will drop in now and again to check-in with you guys, you have been brilliant these past few years and helped me get out of retail which is where my life was looking to rest.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yo bro still stick around mate. What's a few minutes a day. I did an OU degree while I worked mate. Best way to earn and learn. Ask me anything, you might be on a similar course

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

It would be interesting to hear what you both think about the OU degree as it's something I have always thought of but never done. The sheer cost puts me off as I can't see you would 'get your moneys worth' so to speak. I have moved on from doing a tech role to a developer role in the past year in a right place right time scenario!

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
    dmarsh likes this.
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well done let us know how it goes :thumbleft

I did a few OU courses before the prices went up, was good value for money at the time. I don't think a degree is really a requirement for most jobs, its more the knowledge gained, and there lots of ways to get that.

Dazzo likes this.
  5. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi All,
    Good to hear from you Julez, hope all is well.

Agree with @dmarsh about a degree not being a requirement for most jobs.
    In all honesty, when I win the lottery, I really would consider a Degree of some sort. Something to keep me occupied when I am sitting on a beach chilling out, or those long plane rides in first class :)