Drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

My friend has an old Tosh lappy, but doesn't have a drivers disk for it.

i can download drivers from the Tosh website, but whathappens if they stop supporting drivers or i cant find them eg. wireless?

is there any way of extracting drivers for the machine prior to formatting it?

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Mr.Cheeks

researching now....

Thank You.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't think that backs up the hardware drivers Baba, well as the wizard is designed to migrate the user settings to a different box, there doesn't seem to be much point in copying the drivers.

AFAIK you need to install the drivers, just backing up the files will not work in most cases.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Mr.Cheeks

this does everything - i just need the drivers...

What you mean by that?

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Because just copying the drivers doesn't usualy copy the installation system, including all the complicated Registry stuff.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The files and settings transfer wizard only migrates the user profile so it wont touch device drivers.

Have you looked in the root of the C: drive? Sometimes you get a folder called 'drivers' or something like that which will have all the device drivers you need.

You can always find drivers on the net, sometimes it takes a while and you may have to google a serial number\model number but you generally get there in the end. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheeks,

There is no way as far as I am aware of removing the drivers from a working system, unless someone has kept the original files (untouched) from the website or setup disc.

The files and settings transfer wizard is a great tool for backing up user data (my doc's) and settings but not system state or files.

Most of the well known manufacturers keep their website full of drivers and software for a long time after they have gone out of production. If you are worried about not being able to find them again, download them and store them somewhere safe.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Boyce is right. While they're available, grab them and save them to multiple locations (on the drive, on some CDs, on flash drives, wherever). Once they're gone, they're gone. That said, Boyce is also right that major manufacturers keep them available for years.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Mr.Cheeks

some sweet info there..

Boycey - i was planning to do what you just mentioned...

11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yeah id definately back them up, also saves you having to re download them aswell. There are also a few driver sites where you can get hold of the old stuff if you get stuck

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Of course there are also websites that are dedicated to keeping drivers for hardware that the manufactures ahve stopped supporting... try a google on device drivers etc etc I used to use one quite frequently a few years back but cant remebre the name of it now.

Also if you download the drivers from the manufacturers site its always a good idea to copy the downloaded files to a backup source such as a pen drive or cd jsut in case.........

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  15. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Cheeks, I just found a full version of Driver Genius Pro (as suggested by Juice) on a magazine cover disk. If you want to cover the postage, I'll send the CD to you.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270