Dragonage 2 Demo

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Anyone else downloaded and tried the Demo of DragonAge 2 yet. Just downloaded and tried it, failed the first mission as I made my character to be a healer so had no real offense :(

Will try again :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I grabbed it on the xbpx as my brother has my PC at the moment.

TBH I found the demo a little hack and slashey but I think that is just the change from the PC to the console.

I like that character now has a voice, and they have obviously done a lot of work on the graphics, I like that the skill set is now no longer a liner progression and is intead tree based and the inclusion of the mass effect style conversation wheel.

Over all I like that they have done and I have had it preordered for a while. Cant wait for this to come out.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Kitkatninja

Apparently if you complete the demo, you get one or two items for the live game :)

Anyone else had problems running the game on the PC with DirectX 11? Things like game not being in full screen to no voice were just some of the things I had issue with, I had to revert to Directx 9.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I tried playing it last night. Had to reinstall DX to get it to run first off, then it crashed after the second cutscene. Going to try again just now...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I had a crack at it on the PS3 the other day.

A bit too fighty for me.

The bird is pretty fit - although I'm surprised that she can stay standing up.
    Bet she gets a bad back...

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Havnt seen it yet but have you seen the gameplay footage of Skyrim? I can't wait :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Kitkatninja

Another game I can't wait for 8)

-ken

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I just reinstalled the original, going to give it another crack before the second installment comes out
    the demo just finished downloading on steam too :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Well it wasn't exactly a long demo lol
    not sure if completing it is worthy of any freebies, and i got no messages saying i gain anything
    that said, pre ordering or buying a deluxe edition gets you plenty of useless freebies too, so who knows :)

I remember dieing a LOT more in Dragon Age 1, maybe i had the difficulty set differently or something lol

10. Gingerdave

I found the difficulty levels really odd, easy was far to easy where as normal was hugely different with massive random difficulty spikes.

On the plus side it did have Shale in it.

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm looking forward to Dawn of War 2 : Retribution which is out next week! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I never got into DOW2 as much as i did with DOW1, i literally played DOW for years
    DOW2 i dont think i even completed
    although i did like that multi player mode that came in a patch, and the windows live integration

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Was the opposite for me. I didn't really like DOW1 and didn't bother with it much, but I really loved DOW2. It had a really great single player campaign and had elements of an RPG as your squad progressed and leveled up as you went through the campaign. Have never bothered with the multiplayer side of it other than the free add on they released called 'The Last Stand'. Which was 3 players holding out against progressively tougher waves of enemies.

A new version of last stand is coming with Retribution. The are adding an extra map and also an extra hero to use (Imperial Guard General).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

So yeah, that one comment made me cave and treat myself to ME2 for my birthday
    from the moment it finished downloading I played it non stop for 12 hours, then another 12 hours the next night to completion
    phew, that was an awesome game
    but NOW I'm included to run back through ME1, import the char to ME2 then save it and import it to ME3 later this year
    oh dear.. and i have so much work to do.. and some Dragon Age to do.. eek!

15. Fergal1982

Managed to get DA2 running (DirectX11 doesnt work in the demo apparently). I loved it. I was a fan of the ME conversation wheel - it gave you a general intent, but often ended up making you say something you didnt quite intend. It added to the spice.

I played a rogue, and the combat was very.... visceral.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  16. Gingerdave

A worth while birthday, I played ME2 over a weekend and then went back and did another play through, then left it until about 2 months ago where I kicked another play through off but playing through on Insanity - massively rewarding but I still havent beaten the final boss on insanity, its well...Insane.

Going back to ME1 you may find difficult as the gameplay is far less refined, but they story is very good, and just doing the major plot points you can get done in about 20 hours or so, playing properly well double that :D

I think my main charater has about 80 - 100 hours of play in him now so by the time it gets to ME3 it really should feel like "my" universe.

17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've just invested in ME2 after playing the demo.
    Been addicted to Oblivion since Xmas though, so it feels a bit like being unfaithful somehow...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  18. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Combat design is far different than first/original game. Main problem is not that however. Game crashes randomly
    at random places. Even though i'D rather Witcher, i played this one too.Graphics? It appears game
    programmers decreased the quality compared to the original game.Perhaps the worst part is graphics for me. However, Not bad unlike comments of some people.

If you do not believe in crashes, i suggest you will track social bioware for it. No definite solution found
    for crashes yet.

Certifications: CCNA
  19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I don't think i got a single crash
    but it sounds like others here have, could it be a graphics driver issue? mine are current as of last week, and I know a lot of games get pretty weird if the drivers are older than the game is :)

20. Fergal1982

I had crashes galore, but a little investigation on the site showed that the demo doesnt work on DirectX11, and the word from the source was to not use it (although it should be fixed in release). Once I did that, I had not a single problem with it.