DR summary documentation

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, May 25, 2010.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

What kind of software do you use for recording the summary of events after a disaster if any?

(for producing a basic summary to inform key people in the company what happened, what was done to resolve it and perhaps how it can be prevented in the future)?

Do you use a spreadsheet, graphs... just an email, or is it part of a more advanced application?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

The standing theory we have at the moment is that during the situation contemporay notes are made in Evernote and then once the situation is resolved we have a meeting where we bring all our notes and then an offical report is drafted and sent to the managing partners. This is then the offical record and will be issued via email and a copy kept in Public Folders for reference.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Generally speaking it's a mix of Word, Email and Reports from vendors (for example should a link go down and we need to invoke then we would use the report from the vendor (Colt or BT) as well as anything else we need from the DR provider and everyone else involved).

The Incident Report would generally provide a summary of what happened, links to online reports\documents (assuming you use something like Sharepoint) and lessons learnt.

There isn't one single piece of software that I know of that can do it all because everyone will be using different products such as email, spreadsheets etc.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Word... and a nice long vacation.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

The answers so far are pretty much as I thought / was hoping.

Many thanks :D

Lee

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Same.

I find the more important thing is to have documentation of the decisions made before the disaster, that way I know I'm covered when people start screaming.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10