Double trouble

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jan 3, 2018.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well it looks like my working new year will start off with a mountain of work as the other technician has handed his notice in and leaves in a week or so.....

I had this situation last year and basically I worked lots more hours which were repayed as flexi time, however, i dont think I will be doing this again, I think its time for a sit down with the boss to say, er hang on a mo, there is no way I am doing what I did last year, especially for the money I am on. They will get someone in around April, as thats how slow our recruitment process is, I do have 2 interns to 'help' in which he will expect me to train them up but to do this as well as everything else is going a bit too far.

I dont like just sticking to my hours, however I think I may have to be stubborn and prove a point. Going to a bit interesting I think

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Look at it as an opportunity – I would not go into any discussion mentioning how much money you are on to justify a pay increase. Choose your words carefully and list the extra responsibilities etc. that you have taken on and hopefully things will work out.

Best of luck :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

At the end of the day, if you're planning on leaving in the near future. You may need him to provide a good reference.

Maybe you could politely ask about overtime pay?

4. Sparky

Any joy mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. zxspectrum

Well I am not back in til Monday, gotta love Christmas hols.

I have however emailed the boss explaining my concerns etc, he has organised a meeting between us both for next week to chat about my issues/concerns. I dont think I am being unreasonable, with me you dont get a 9-5 type of person, I will often get in early and stay late to get things done. I think the only thing my boss doesnt grasp is the complexity of what goes on when something needs fixing/updating. He has asked me in the past in regards to issues but when you go into the detail, he isnt interested, he just wants to know if its fixed or not.

It would be nice to get a raise but I am not holding my breath

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im at the point now where I wont work a minute extra.. just isnt worth it.. if something isnt in my pay grade I wont do it, simple as that.. Im motivated by money at the end of the day.. once you get over the intial excitement of working in IT (which will be short lived) its all about the Benjamins. I like when a new person starts and they give me the usual spill of always having been into computers and how excited they are to learn etc.. then I see them transition into someone who hates people and hates computers and wants to work on a deserted island where there is no technology.

My advice to you is work as much or as little to match what you are paid..

7. zxspectrum

To be honest @Juelz if I get fobbed off in this meeting with empty promises then that will be my approach. I will not train anyone up, I wont go out of my way for people , I will just do my hours and basically set myself up for moving, the extra time that I will have will be devoted to getting certs and personal development.

My problem is that I hate saying no to people and like to work the extra hours to make things run smoothly for people. I still find IT exciting as well, so if there is an issue, im always wanting to work out whats going on. I also like doing lots of updates/fixes in the least amount of time possible, so finding shortcuts that makes me more productive etc. Also I find that in IT, no one day is the same and as well as that you can always branch out so its not as if I will be where I am for ever etc.

8. Sparky

Sorry mate but you will have limited options to earn serious wonga in IT if that is your attitude just now.

It sounds like you need to get a new job get your motivation back.

9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I somewhat agree I have lost motivation due to the repetativeness of working on firstline issues which are boring..

10. zxspectrum

@Juelz Do you not have any side projects on the go that you can do in work? I always have something on going just to keep the grey matter ticking over. It does sound like you are needing to move, what certs have you got to help you do that and are you looking at 2nd/3rd line roles?