Don't know What To Do Next

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by J1mmyc, Jan 5, 2011.

1. J1mmyc

J1mmyc Bit Poster

ok ive passed my comptia A+ in December and have just started MCDST but now not really sure wether to waste my time doing it and start on the MCITP as lets face it windows 7 will end up taking over in the next couple of years when windows xp is no longer supported and ill be in a good position with MCITP Certs.

Certifications: A+,MCDST
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

True enough, but if you have good familiarity with XP then the MCDST won't be hard slog for you, and a lot of companies will take careful consideration before moving their infrastructure to a sole Win 7 environment. Also, the MCDST will never retire; you'll always have that particular string on your bow, without needing to refresh. I wouldn't consider it a waste of time at all.

Congrats on the A+ pass, by the way :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Actually you are very wrong in thinking that windows 7 will become mainstream because XP is not supported anymore.

Not many companies have the budget to upgrade to a new OS just because Microsoft decide to release one or cant face having the chance of any downtime caused by installation problems with a new OS.

Depending on what your experience level is if you ask a lot of the seasoned people on here they will tell you that XP will still be the most widley used OS for a few more years even after MS stop supporting it in 2014 because they trust it, they also dont have to spend budget on training people on how to use it either because most people have already used it.

How many companies jumped to Vista when it was released? not as many as MS wanted because of the reasons I have already stated. Just because Windows 7 is great and does what Vista should have done it doesn't mean you will get people jumping on the new os band wagon.

Whilst the MCITP is a good cert to get you should get the MCDST first expecially if you are wanting to get into IT or use xp in your current work place.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. J1mmyc

J1mmyc Bit Poster

Yeah i understand comments above i think i might just take the MCDST (since alot of it was covered in A+ so still fresh in the mind) then start MCITP.

Good Idea?

Certifications: A+,MCDST
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep that would be good.

The MCDST is being discontinued in June (I think its the 31st) but you should have plenty of time to do it and you will be MCDST for life.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I look forward to seeing your response in two years, when XP is still being used by businesses. :D And while you'll have your Windows 7 certification, your competition will have their XP, Vista, *and* Windows 7 certs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

XP will be around for a long time due to things like budgets, lack of knowledge and legacy applications not running on newer OS's. I think a lot of companies will bypass Windows 7 because of this and possibly upgrade next OS. I've worked for companies recently that still had Windows 2000 on desktops so OS's tend to stick around for a long time after they are officially dropped. I've also worked for a company that removed Windows 7 off new PC's to install XP on them as they were worried about using Windows 7.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think if you look at what windows 7 can do that XP can't, you're looking at very little that most businesses need. Most of the real differences lie in Enterprise rather than small-medium levels. There just isn't enough extra to make businesses move.
    I think the deciding factor will almost certainly be software. As the number of products on the market that are not compatible with XP rises (applications, hardware drivers etc) then the switch will look more attractive. I'm pretty sure MS will stop making Office XP compatible when they stop supporting XP (that's what I'd do anyway, if I ran MS). This will be the beginning of the end for XP.

Until then, XP will live on in the majority of businesses and the MCDST is still the best client cert to have.

Looking at various market share stats around the web, XP still has around 60% of the market and Windows 7 around 25%. I don't see XP dropping too much over the next year or so, most of the Windows 7 rise is at the expense of Vista. You've also got to factor in that these figures include a large number of home users using OEM windows who haven't been able to buy XP for quite a while, meaning businesses will have a much higher XP/W7 ratio.

It's amazing how much thought I can put in to one post when I have studying that needs doing.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job