Problem Domain account losing desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Oct 5, 2009.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I'm on my own this week so some problems are a bit over my head, apparently a couple of the admin staff are logging in and every monday, their desktops have cleared all pinned items and their outlook signatures, does anyone have a clue what that could be? a group policy setting maybe? tbh, it seems like they are logging in with a temporary profile.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You mention 'every Monday'. Has this actually happened quite a few times in the past then? If so, do they then lose any changes once they log off and back on during the week too? Or is it just after the weekend that it happens?

3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It's literally when they log in on the Monday, it's happened every monday apparently, but it is only for these 2 people (that I am aware of)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Does it happen if they log into machines other then their assigned one?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You guys using roaming profiles or mandatory profiles, perhaps?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

And on the assumption that they do logoff during the week, it must be something that runs over the weekend - Friday night to Monday morning that causes the issue... otherwise I'd have gone with BMs query about mandatory versus roaming.

What do they end up with on the desktop? Default profile?

I wonder if they do log off during the week, and when they come to log off on the Friday, if they don;t have permissions to save changes to the server. Might be worth asking, just in case.

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've had this issue many times... for me it was the user profile folder that gets screwed up every once in a while.... sometimes the folder loses the user permissions, other times it just gets corrupt. If you look in AD for those users, you will find a profile tab, look in there and it will tell you where the profile folder is located. If you're modifying the permissions, you might have to take ownership of that folder first... either way add the appropriate permissions if it's needed, or just rename the folder and have the user log back in and it should recreate it. Don't delete the folder because it contains things like favorites, etc... once you transfer everything over to the new profile, you can delete the old assuming everything works with the new one.

It also depends on how you have the things setup. In our case it was roaming profiles...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said knowing if the profiles are configured to be roaming or not would be a help.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

.old the profiles and see what happens when new ones are pulled down mate.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Weird, I would have a close look at what runs once a week on the network. My thoughts are that maybe a full backup is being run on Sunday nights and for whatever reason these two profiles are being regularly affected.

As per an earlier suggestion, find out where the profiles are stored and also, establish what is being backed up and what backup software is being used.

Also worth checking are the event logs for the two computers, to see if there are any clues in there.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)