does working at the same place equal to pay rise?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mallet, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Hi all

still hanging around in the IT 1st helpdesk field :biggrin

brief summary in my dept:
    unfortunately, in my dept things have been getting worse. like when staff leave, managers dont replace the staff that left, and put a lot of workload because of this. manager hasnt got the slightest idea on how common sense works.
    someone is already leaving soon and that person position wont be getting replaced... :dry

I am not sure how to say this but does but, if I work at the same place for over a year, should I ask for a pay rise just because Ive been there for so long? Or do I need to some how do more labour work to justify the pay rise?
    I got one and an half years experience in my current job. and I would say another year from my past contract jobs. currently earning £12 per hour in east london.

I am only sticking it out because I want to pay off my student loan in the next two months.... and of course because of recession.

any advise would be great :)

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

I know exactly what you mean!!

I have been working for a company for just over a year now with no pay review in sight even thought I have been promoted within this time.

First thing I did was speak to my line manager who was not really very understanding. During a face to face meeting I summarised my achievements over the year, reminded him of the constant times I have gone above and beyond the call of duty, additional unpaid hours, however his response was that HE has also put in the extra effort and its nothing special. His final response was to ask again in a few months.

It took around 4 months just to get this face to face meeting with him in the first place so asking him again will more than likely happen in 6 months time.

To be honest, 6 months more is a long time for me to work in an envirionment feeling under valued and over worked so maybe it is time to move on. I was not expecting a signicant raise here, a cost of living rise would keep me happy based on principal.

I may give it one last try via a well thought out email detailing my talents and the value I bring to the company, but I'm not sure if that time could be better spend doing my CV.

You may have better luck than me, certainly speak to your manager in the first instance and try to facilitate a meeting with them so you have time to put your comments across to them in a constructive manner.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hanging around doesn't get you a pay rise - especially in today's climate.
    Companies at the moment aren't threatened by you leaving as there are loads of bodies willing to replace you at half the cost.

Most companies offer a 'cost of living' pay rise each year, but in a recession that means squat.

The only way to get a pay rise is to be great at your job, take on additional responsibilities and make yourself irreplaceable.

In a good way I mean, not just by hiding the server room key. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Some good and valid points however, not too sure I agree with the irreplaceable as everyone and any position is replaceable.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

also agree with the points made, personally I've never had a payrise other than the cost of living normally 1-2%. I think especially now the only half decent payrise you can get is by sucking as much knowledge as you can from your current employer dusting off the CV and moving on.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the real world guys !

Seriously, you do need to take account of the current economic climate. That's not an excuse, it's a fact of life. Did you not ask about pay rises and progression when you took the job ? Best to always check that out then there's no surprises. As to additional hours and unsocial hours - you're in IT, it goes with the territory.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would say, try to talk to the manager about a pay rise by bring to him your duties when you first started to what they are now, however there are no guarentees especially in this climate.

If that doesn't work, and if you still feel like that, start looking around but after your loan is paid off in two months time. In this climate, with the majority of businesses cutting back/failing, even a job offer may fall thru (unlikely but it could happen).

Just my opinion, mind you :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

very much again guys for the honest feedback. I will plan out a action plan after paying out my loan I go for the kill later :biggrin its good to know what I should and shouldnt do :thumbleft

unfortunately, when I was at the interview stage I didnt ask about progression. as I was lucky enough to get a job after looking for six months. most of this came from my dads negative comments on how long I was looking for a job.
    plus, I didnt have a solid enough experience from my past IT jobs to ask such a thing :cry: however, now that I have gained enough exp points, I feel that I am in a more comfortable position to go about and start experimenting other sides of IT. I have already done some 2nd line support jobs when there are medium priority calls not answered.
    however, I did ask previously, about a pay rise. it was currently around £10 per hour and got it to £12 after six months of working there.

-Mallet

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't beat yourself up too much.
    Even if you had asked about pay rises and progression, things change.

At the moment lots of projects are getting shelved and expansion that was planned a couple of years ago when things were rosey isn't happening.

Even if they had told you that there was a 5% salary increase every year and a free BMW at the end of 5, things would probably look different now anyway.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thats also very true. Thank you all for the very helpful support again :thumbleft

-Mallet

11. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

I had a similar situation where I work, but a long time ago (about 8 years) when I was working as a receptionist. Another girl had started around the same time as me, and about 2 years in, they employed some new people at the same pay as us.

We spoke about it and both approached the manager, who agreed that it was unfair to be paid the same as new staff who were having to be trained to do the same job, and since then it is now written into contracts that there will be a 50p an hour raise after 2 years of continuous employment. So I would say that there is absolutely no harm in asking, point out that you are all under extra pressure because of the staff cutbacks, and that you understand the reasons why given the current climate, but you feel that it would be fair to be paid just a little extra for undertaking the extra workload...

HOWEVER... also be prepared to be told that it's not going to happen, at least not for the forseeable future, and do your best to accept it as graciously as you can if the latter does happen! Like you and everyone else says, to be in any job at all at the moment is a good thing!

Best of luck to you if you do decide to ask!

Certifications: ECDL BCS1, NCFE Networking Essentials
    WIP: HNC in Computing