Does this sound right

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Edugeek.net Russdev, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Edugeek.net Russdev

Edugeek.net Russdev Bit Poster

I Plan to do mcsa self study so going to get the following books: -

Books
    CSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-290) 24.69
    CSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-291) 24.69
    MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-270): 28.49
    Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003 (Paperback) 20.79
    CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition (All-in-One) 34.99
    A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (All-In-One) 20.99

Exams (Prices Are Full Price)
    A+ Exam * 2 £228.00
    Network+ £169.00
    Microsoft Exams £264.00
    Total: 815.64

So two exams for A+, Network+, Plus 3 Microsoft Exams (70-290,70291,70-270) = MCSA

Just want to make sure got it right before I present to the CPD person here.

cheers

Russ

2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

For what exams to do to get the MCSA then thats fine you have to do the ones you listed and can take the A+ and Network+ as an elective.

For the exam prices I think your about right. Comptia exams are way over priced and Microsoft ones are around £88 a pop.

For the books I can't tell which ones you have picked but for the A+ I would go for the Sybex A+ book (Which I used and was excellent) or Mike Myers A+ book which everyone raves about. The Sybex Network+ book is also excellent (again the one I used).

As for the MCSA books I used different books for different exams. I think a lot of the books are now pretty dated especially for the 70-291 exam that I'm doing as all of them I've read miss out subjects like WSUS so make sure you look at the exam objectives and cover all of it using resources on the net as well as books.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Looks correct to me ! Best of luck ! :D

4. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Bit Poster

Certifications: VCP, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA
    WIP: MCITP: Database Admin
  5. Edugeek.net Russdev

Sorry thought I put the title yes Mike Meyers books for A+,N+ might add few quid to book prices give me some wiggle room with the books.

Plan is the do A+ then start a Microsoft exam if the new Network+ has not come online yet and then pick N+ up afterwards..

Thanks for the help.

Russell

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you can lower the prices by buying discount vouchers. The A+ (2 exams) on its own including VAT come to £266 but if you buy two international vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com then you only pay £214 you just then enter the voucher codes on the pearson vue website instead of your credit card.

They also do N+ vouchers but I havent looked their prices yet.

With the MS press books you usually find 15% of the price of the exam, I'm guessing you you the voucher number and credit card when purchasing the exam(s).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

You could also lower the cost of exams by not taking the three Comptia exams, but one Microsoft elective exam as there is Vista (70-620). This might give you a couple of hundreds of pounds to spend elsewhere.
    Depends a bit on your knowledge at the moment.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  8. Edugeek.net Russdev

The vouchers is whole another thread cost not a major issue as work is paying for it.

Think in end decided to A+, N+ mainly to get me into mode of doing certificates etc as both courses I should be able to pass :) never a bad thing having A+,N+ on the old CV.

Going slightly higher with the prices so got some room in what I choose as books/materials.

Thanks for all the advice.

Russell