1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it matter when to get a Security+

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Junaid15, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Junaid15

Junaid15 Banned

I am currently in a community college and will be transferring to a 4 year university this upcoming fall with a major in cyber security. I was planning on taking the exam soon, but a friend of mine told that employers prefer to have a security+ at a 4 year university rather than a community college. Does it matter if I get the certification or now or at a 4 year university? Thanks.
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Security+ is an entry-level cert so no problem to take the exam when you feel ready to do so.
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Office 365, Server 2016, CEH
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

It doesn't matter when you get the Sec+, as Sparky says it's an entry level exam and doesn't require any previous / provable experience (unlike the CISSP).

If you're ready for it, go for it.
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).