Does anyone use their MCP name suffix in general ?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Davidh1819, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone actually uses the Name suffix they get when they become certified I can understand for a CV but using it on Bank cards Bills and Name Reservations do people actually take you more seriously?. or think you’re trying to be better than others...

for example is you reserved a place in a hotel and you told them you were Fred Bloggs MCP MCTS will you receive more privileges than if you just put down Fred Bloggs??

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

It's probably inappropriate but it made me laugh.

You mean like:
    "Hello, it's MCP MCTS MCDBA CCNA ITILv3 ( :O ) Fred Bloggs speaking. I'd like to order a pizza"

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No. On my e-mails, CV's and anything professional/official for work I do use my post-nominals but not my MS ones.

-Ken

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

I did not mean that general lol thats milking it lol i was thinking more formal places like a 5 star hotel or something were alot of people will have name suffix but not milking it like using it on your facebook profile name lol would be funny if you ordered a pizza like that tho!

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not sure where the line is on this.
    Some post-mominals are official, such as 'OBE' or 'DSO' and tend to get used all the time.
    Some are still 'official' but are irrelevant outside a certain field. So for example I'd put 'MBCS' on my business card but not on my credit card.
    Others relating to academic achievements are similar - I guess you'd put 'PhD' or 'MCP' on a business card or beside your name on a paper you had written, but again, not on your cheque book.
    Since MCP can relate to a single exam, I wouldn't really rate it as a post-mominal unless you had nothing else and were desperate.
    Otherwise you'd end up with people with 'Silver Swimming Certificate' or 'Licensed Driver' popping up all over the place...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

This made me chuckle

Do accountants do it with their qualifications? Financial advisors? Conveyancers? :blink

Yes they do. On their CV's or professional documentation.

However high a regard we in the industry may have for our certs and wherever they sit on the NQF most people outside of the industry don't know or care what they are.

Example

One of my best mates has the highest health and safety qualification available anywhere. In health and safety land its probably a CCNA and MCSE combined and then some. Do I give a crap? Does he give a crap about my certs? No because they are relevant to the industry he works in and nothing else. You want the wow factor get a PHD.

Ah that friday feeling:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  7. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I put SSC as one of my certs on the company intranet. To date no-one has twigged

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I know my dad at one time wanted a business card with all his post nominals on but he realised it wouldn't fit in his wallet.... (hes an electrical engineer and is fairly heavily qualified).

As others have said, if its something professional and related to your work then yeah throw the letters in but outside of your work life no ones really going to know or care about your MCP, MCSE, MCSA, CCNA or any others you've collected.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I never put my certs or my academic qualifications in my signature, or on my business cards through choice. They're on my CV, of course, but pretty much nowhere else (including here!)

I have, at various times, however, been required by employers to do so. I've invariably added 'CR' in the list somewhere. No-one has ever quizzed me as to what it is. When/if they do I'll tell them its 'Chief Rocker' :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think it's one of those things you grow out of.

When you get your first couple of certs, you get really chuffed and want to show them off.
    Then you realise that you've got too many, and it gets a bit of a mess.

Last time we had business cards done I put all my professional memberships on, rather than my certs.
    Then I noticed that people a lot more highly qualified and with a lot meatier post-mominals than me didn't bother to use them, so I ate humble pie for a while.

Then Boyce changed our company email signatures and I thought it would be unfair to ask him to put them all back on again. :biggrin

I think the rule is 'where relevant'.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. I have to buy the extra-extra-long checks. Plus, chicks dig it. 8)

Actually, I use them in only three places:
    - on my resume
    - in my sig on certification forums
    - occasionally on e-mail correspondence

I don't even list them on my business card.

The main reason I list them here is because I wouldn't hold any credibility if I wrote training products for things I wasn't certified on.

Really, who else is gonna care that I'm an MCSE+I?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

This is an interesting post indeed!!! I don't even use the creds on my CV to be honest... I mention that I am certified but that's about it... Oh and every once in a while I'll use a signature with the creds...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's not heavily used - not in my previous experience.

One chappy in support here used to use his degree - Mr Joe Bloggs BSc

We work in a law firm. Every lawyer here has a degree; many of them are chartered, and members of professional organisations. Not a post nominal in sight.

That may be company policy (though I haven't read it anywhere) but... it's just not necessary.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA