Does anyone know what...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

I like that quote bud, i think it's a good one, and definately one to remember.

I'm just in the process of finding an entry level job, i've got my A+, and MCDST and now i'm looking to add the 'invaluable' experience to the mix whilst working towards the MCSE, after this then i'll see where i am - make an informed decision as to which certs to go for then.

When you're at the start (as i am) i think that it is very difficult to see the larger picture and i think that this is where the posts 'questions' originate from - my personal opinion is to take one step at a time and work from there. (which is why i like the quote from BB Michael) - What i find appealling about the IT field is the diversity - theres really no need to 'pigeon hole' yourself if you don't want to. In an ideal world i would like to hold as many certs as possible - you know, make yorself a formidable asset. Not easy, but then again - not impossible.

:D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's difficult to see the larger picture when starting out in IT because you've never seen IT from the inside before. I was in a similar situation when I graduated with a Chemistry degree and started looking for jobs. My teachers meant well - they said that a chemist with a BS makes $35,000 to start out, on average. So I sent out dozens of resumes... and got ONE interview. The guy who interviewed me said they needed someone to run some lab equipment, and they were also looking to hire a computer tech. I told them I'd do the lab work AND help out with the tech stuff for $30,000. Less than the average salary, so he should be interested, right? I didn't hear from the interviewer again.

At this point, I was confused. After all, I interview well (there's rarely been an IT job I didn't land after the interview), I had a great GPA, I would accept a job at less than the "average", and I even had an advanced-level Chemistry degree approved by the American Chemical Society. What my teachers either didn't tell me or didn't know was that companies wanted to hire chemists with Masters degrees.

I finally found a company willing to hire BS chemists for $25,000 a year... washing test tubes. How in God's green earth can you prove yourself in a career field by washing test tubes? At that point, I was stuck deciding whether to spend 2 more years in school, with no more money left in my GI Bill, or switch careers to my hobby. You know how the rest turned out. :)

As to the last part of your post, I agree - I prefer not to pigeon-hole myself. I'd much rather know a little bit about a lot of things than specialize in just one thing. Keeps me from being bored, which I would be if I focused on just one technology.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Sounds like you've had a wonderfully interesting time so far bud.

I think to cut down on repeating yourself, you guys need a standard format to answer these questions...

perhaps you can simply answer - 'to get what you want from IT, you will need 75% hard work and 50% luck'

I know that this doesn't add up, but what the hell ever does !!

4. BosonMichael

BrainBeacon is definitely gonna have some sort of FAQ page with all the stuff I've talked about on the forums... how to break into IT, why to avoid braindumps, how to study for exams, etc. I do find myself repeating myself over and over and over... because the answers never change. :)

Actually, it's more precise to say:

"To get what you want from IT, you will need 100% hard work OR 100% luck. If you work hard, you won't need luck; if you don't work hard, you're going to need as much luck as you can get for the rest of your IT career."

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

lol, too true.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Quoted for absolute truth and wisdom 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. BosonMichael

You are too kind, my friend. :)