Does anyone have the Netgear DG834G Adsl Router?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by arisen, Nov 11, 2005.

1. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

I'm thinking of getting this Netgear router from amazon, it's being bundled with a free USB 802.11g nic. Does anyone have this router or any experience with it?

Looks cool too! 8)

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  2. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52244

Ive had this for about 6 months now and its a first class product. No complaints at all.

Dont have time to give a little review but if you have any questions then ask away.

Neall

WIP: A+
  3. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Hey Neall thanks for your post, i'm curious about firmware upgrades on the router; have you upgraded the firmware on your router and if so how painless was it?

Cheers

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I got one last week (slightly older model, v1 I think) I have never used wirelss or a router before and was networked, wireless and online and secured in around an hour. I love the built-in dynDNS support (dynamic DNS - have a look at www.dyndns.org)

Bloody great product - go for it, IMHO. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have the wired version (not being used right now as no other PCs around) but I will always recommend Netgear products to anyone...cos they are great and look nice too...if I went wireless I would deffo go for Netgear...i think mine is RP614....so I would say go for it arisen what have you got to lose? the only problem is when it comes to Macs boy they can be a nightmare...the amount of times I have had to tell customers they need to contact Netgear to get the router configured...poor souls...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

hey thanks jaka and noelg24, i think i will be getting this particular router, i mean amazon.co.uk has it reviewed by 187 people each awarding it on average 4.5 stars out of 5, and e-buyer has it at 218 people also giving it 4.5 stars! so i guess i can't go far wrong :biggrin

Hopefully :blink

The only thing that bothers me is the postal service, i can't remember how many times i've ordered things over the net and they failed to arrive! What's happening to royal mail?! :dry

(but that's another thread! :biggrin )

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

In my short although intensive experience (spent all week remoted into it from work ! ) of that model, I would have no hesitation in recommending it 100% to you, arisen. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

The firmware update was fine mate. No complaints.

As for delivery, i use Ebuyer for all easily obtainable products and have never had a problem with them. And i buy a lot of stuff!

Amazon on the other hand, i have found to be very slow. Reliable all the same though.

Neall

WIP: A+
  9. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Ok cool thanks guys for all your posts, i'll be ordering my router shortly! Cheers! :thumbleft

10. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Got my router today with the free usb nic!

Both work perfectly! The router firmware is up-to-date with wpa-psk with 256bit key! Cool.

Very pleased with it! Thanks to everyone who recommended it to me!

11. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

just read this thread and I'll echo the sentiment. I've one of these also. Small, silent and it works a treat. Simple to configure - much more so than my old Dell wireless hub.

good choice !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP