Dodgy dealings?!?!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Jan 11, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

guys remember those cheap 1GB RAM sticks i told you about? well looks like something fishy was going on with them...I got this email from eBay:

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 6838122794

Item Title - NEW 1GB PC3200 DDR Memory RAM DDR400 NON-ECC

Our records show that you were a bidder or buyer of one or more of this seller's items. We recently removed all of this seller's active listings and have suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

If someone claiming to be the seller asks you to complete a transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you ignore the request. Transactions for items listed on eBay that are completed outside of the eBay marketplace are not covered by the Buyer Protection services offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud.

If you have not sent payment to the seller, we urge you to not proceed with the transaction.

If you have already paid, you may wish to pursue recouping your funds. Some steps you might take include:

1. Ask the seller for a refund
    2. If you paid by check, ask your bank to stop payment
    3. If you paid by credit card, contact your credit card company's security department
    4. If you have made a payment by money order or wire transfer, you may contact that company for further information at 1-800-325-6000 (Western Union), or at 1-800-926-9400 (Money Gram)
    5. If you paid with PayPal, review the Buyer Complaint Process at:

/csg/p?www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/protections-buyer-outside

Now if anyone else has received an email just like it please tell me...I think I need to get my money back now! this is shocking!!

Suffice to say the guy has been removed so there is no way of contacting him at all!!

Altho saying that I contacted him today to say when the items will be arriving...he said he has posted them and will email a tracking number this evening!! I am expecting them tomorrow...I will give it until Friday...if they havent arrived by then I will file a claim with PayPal for a refund or something...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Rule 1 with ebay emails: Was it addressed to you personaly , or just 'Dear ebay user' (or similar).

I've seen hundreds of fake ebay emails, and none of them address me by name. Ebay says that they will always address you by name. (And now sod's law says I can't find the page on ebay that says this for inclusion here!)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

This one was addressed to me personally I even went on my eBay account and there was a copy of it there...if it didnt have a copy of it there then I know it was fake...also they have taken the item of my list so looks like its all legit...

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Im thinking there must be a way I can stop the payment being taken from my bank account. I have checked and the money has not been taken out as yet...its done by Direct Debit so do u lot think if I stop it just for this payment then it should not go thru? or would I have to contact my Bank direct? any ideas people?

5. hbroomhall

Ah! It does indeed appear to be from Ebay then!

Harry.

6. hbroomhall

Most banks will be a day behind in posting entries to the account.

It rather depends how you paid for this - as noted in the email you got.

Harry.

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

paid by PayPal itself...it hasnt been taken out of my bank yet...probs not until 2mro or Friday but I think I will go and cancel it anyway...that way I wont have to worry about getting a refund later on which could take forever and be a right faff on....

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Noel,

If your bank has telephone banking phone them and ask them to stop the payment straight away. I told my bank about a dodgy e-mail that was very good and they took 10 days to reply...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Alternatively, some internet banking facilities do allow you to cancel payments. Or forward the email from eBay to Paypal security/complaints department. Boyce's suggestion of phoning will probably be your quickest.

The only thing I found strange from the email that you posted Noel - I thought that eBay were poo-pooing use of money transfer facilities such as Western Union. Seems strange that they'd still refer to them in advice emails.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well my internet banking allows me to cancel payments so i will go ahead and do it...I did checke my paypal account for the transaction of the sale of the RAM and it has the details of this guy so I will email him and find out whats going on!! if in fact it is him!!

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

12. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Hi Noel, looks like you been done mate, been there myself with
    a £250 mobile, the guy sold 8 at the same time.

However you could be lucky in that someone has put a
    complaint in against him AFTER you item was sent out. To be
    honest if he has replied to you sounds half genuine at least, if
    he was conning you he probably wouldn't reply, I wouldn't.

As for Paypal, good luck, cos when it happened to me they said
    my money was safe as they had suspended his account and
    they had the funds to re-pay me - which never happened,
    luckily i paid £200 of it with my card and the rest was in my
    paypal account, so my visa Co sorted £200.00 for me.

Best of luck bud !!

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks mate...I went on my bank account online and cancelled the Direct Debit...so hopefully the money wont come out...if however I do receive the items...well...think I will just keep them and unless I hear from him he aint getting them back...but he seemed so genuine...other people were asking him questions about the product and he answered them like it was all kosher...so God only knows what went wrong...his feedback was 100% altho saying that it was mainly from people he bought stuff off (unless he paid them a huge amount to give him that feedback) and it was only from 17 people aswell...so we'll see what happens in the next 2 days...

14. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Just remember mate, people who are trying to con you, usually
    do sound very genuine, unfortunetly, I got stung big time.

As I said without slating the guy for no reason, it could all be
    genuine, the thing with Ebay is that if someone complains bout
    you they have to suspend your account. I used to sell loads
    of tattoo flash sheets on there, and was constantly being
    suspended for rubbish copy right stuff, bit stupid cos they
    were my own designs, anyway, after a load of chew, I eventually got an email from a nutter who had been
    trying to sell his own, but people were buying mine instead of his, hence he got me suspended all the time????
    It could be he has undercut someone who has complained, or he
    was just conning you, you'll soon find out by checking his
    feedback to see what responce his other buyers give him.

The thing with Ebay is that there are so many emails going
    around asking people to log in and update there details that
    some muppets will probably do it - hence they have access to
    a nice account, change addresses etc - Done!

Hope you get it sorted mate - Callum

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  15. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Sometimes you have to check what kind of items the seller has purchased from others to receive positive feedback.

I had come across a guy a while back on ebay selling some stuff, and his feedback was quite high, and all from people he had purchased items from. When i actually checked what he had been purchasing, it turned out to be ebooks and guides that cost around 50p to £1 each (downloads so no delivery address), so someone can actually purchase a decent rep on ebay for £20 or so, and then possibly proceed to con unsuspecting people at will.

Always be suspicious on ebay!

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I see...hmmm kinda weird that....perhaps that was the case with this guy cos the majority of them were sellers...there was only one buyer tho but I didnt see what that person had bought...wish I has now...thanks...

17. oilovlam

oilovlam Bit Poster

I fell into the same trap and ordered one of the DRAMs. Also haven't had a response from the seller to my email yet.

However I contacted my bank (Lloyds) and they have a debit card dispute department. If I haven't received the goods within 30 days, they kick into action to reclaim the money from Paypal. Apparently they have a good success rate and I should get all the money back. Touch wood!

Other major banks have the same type of arrangement (I was told)

But I suppose a major lesson is to be learnt, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't true", especially where Ebay is concerned!

Certifications: CCNA, 70-270, SCJP 5
  18. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This thread is the reason I've never purchased anything from ebay. Never will either. Trusting the ebay system is just a little toooo trusting for me....

I purchase things online, but I get a lot of confirmation that the brick and mortar exists before I do. It's just waay too easy to create a "virtual" existence online. I mean, 99% of you know me as Freddy Freeloader, a fictional hobo. How weird is that? You'd all think I was crazy in the head if I adopted such a personna offline....

I wasn't always so paranoid about the people I met online. Getting innocently caught up in something in which I lost a more than $1,000 and the total losses came to over $1,000,000 for the company's customers made me realize just how fragile it all is.

Appearances are far too easy to create online.... I mean, I was in the middle of a lot of people getting ripped off and didn't realize what was really happening until it was over. And I thought I "knew" my "friend". He spent more than a year cultivating my trust, only to use it against me.

This kind of medium was "made to order" for the con men of the world....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I think I will contact my bank too and see if they have the same method...still the money has not come out of my bank account as yet...so here's hoping me cancelling the direct debit worked...

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Fictional :eek: damn you Freddy, I believed in you, I thought you were a real hobo and that your avatar bore your true likeness :x

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)