Do you think paying people under 20k a year to provide IT Support is reasonable?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I try not to worry about things I can't control.

What is it you're trying to get out of this discussion?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The world isn't fair, and the job market isn't fair.

Globalization is a very real phenomenon, and it means wages in developed countries will fall in areas where the work can be outsourced.

I don't think unionizing IT would help.

You are in a knowledge workers profession, your protection is having more knowledge than the next guy and being able to turn that knowledge into cash.
    The minute you have the same knowledge or less as the next guy, or there is no demand for that knowledge you are in trouble.

You have a high view of your job, your managers and the market don't.

Most of the world works on Money and Power. You have no money or power so you are at the mercy of people that do.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

What am I trying to get out of this discussion.. umm a discussion (?) its an internet forum for discussions.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It does not surprise me to be honest – I started on £13k (this was years ago) and my mates that worked in retail were on £16/17k.

For any entry-level job I advertise I get over 100 applications. I am only looking for someone that will integrate with the existing team and not say the wrong thing to a customer. The technical skills come by learning on the job.

Most of the jobs you see listed wanting a massive list of skills for under £20k are written by idiots – it is just a list of what tech is being used and they hope to get a match with someone knowing some of the products. This is good value for money in their option.

If you want to earn better wonga then leave your current job. You have clearly maxed it out and are dealing with the same sh1t day after day. I was in your position when I first started out – 9 months into a first line support job and I realised I was taking the same calls over and over. I left and ended up doing my first full network migration on my own – I migrated a Windows NT environment to Server 2003 and relocated the company IT to a new office with no help from contractors or consultants. Never looked back since then and now I’m doing presales and consultancy work.

Best get your CV sorted mate. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    dmarsh likes this.
  5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My first IT job paid £12k pa, thats after 3 years of full-time study on a CS degree and carrying student debt.

Inflation adjusted this should probably be about £28k by now, but wages haven't kept pace with inflation over the last 20 years.

The average starting salary for a CS graduate is now 25k, so again 18-20k for a first line role for someone without the training or debt sounds favorable.
    https://www.savethestudent.org/student-jobs/whats-the-expected-salary-for-your-degree.html#IT

If you can walk into a first line job on £18k with a couple months self study then I'd say its not a terrible deal.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Talking about Blockchain and AI developers in US, salaries 160-400k USD