Do you practise Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Mar 9, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Our school offers a BJJ class, but I haven't gone down that road yet... perhaps someday.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

BM

if you are interested check out the link - it shows some of the basics.

I found it really intersting even though I have done Japanesse Jitsu previously. Makes a nice change of pace from TKD as thats what I was doing directly before it.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

hey man.

yeah ive seen that before and have been looking into it but i have found a gym 20 mins down the road from me which Braulio Estima owns which he has a couple BJJ blackbelts of his own teaching there, also Estima comes from the Gracie Barra association, seems to tick the boxes of my manager who used to train with carlos, renzo and rolles gracie so got to be good.

id rather have the actual teaching of an instructor to pick out what is doing wrong instead of trying to figure it out myself, since they do not have a class near me.

4. BosonMichael

Thanks for the link - I will certainly look through the online training.

Our center only offers those classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I've got conflicts on both nights. Bleh.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

yeah count me as a troll. If you have ever seen a 'real human' in this bloody hell world. Never ending meaningless
    battles, immorality in all stuff especially religion etc.. I wonder when people will save themselves off the idiots
    who exploit them.

Certifications: CCNA
  6. Gingerdave

Sidi

A live instructor is always better, but as video training goes its right up there. As I understand it the Combatives course has been modified away from sports jitsu, to tighten up areas where you would just be punched if it was a real go. Not to say that Sports jitsu isnt usful or fun, just focused differently.

BM

thats a shame but you and your lad could do the online bit together!

7. BosonMichael

Absolutely! And, fortunately, our school does Gracie (if/when we decide to switch over).

8. Solkazo

Solkazo Bit Poster

I used to practice wado ryu a few years back, got quite far after 3 years. Its a shame i gave it up but the school i went to closed down (i believe the guy who ran it moved and no one wanted to take it over).

Would like to learn some other form; but not many choices in my local area and ofcause, none in walking distance.
    (no car :))

Certifications: HND Computing and Business
    WIP: Exam 70-680
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What's walking distance?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Solkazo

Solkazo Bit Poster

I would consider anything 5+ miles out of walking distance :)

Certifications: HND Computing and Business
    WIP: Exam 70-680
  11. Kitkatninja

:biggrin

I remember when I was heavily into the MA, I use to walk 1 hour to class, do 1 or 2 hour classes, then walk an hour back home (not sure how far that was). Now a days, I wouldn't be able to do that :oops:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  12. Kitkatninja

Good news... Passed my first PKA Kickboxing grading, so I'm now a red belt with them. Even better news, both knees are currently holding up.

Next grading is in May (yellow belt). Not sure if I'll make it to black belt level again, but taking it one belt at a time :)

-Ken

13. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Bit late on the uptake here guys but I practice martial arts!

Wing Chun kung fu, with Kamon martial arts club under Master Kevin Chan.
    quite a big club around the south east and south west. I used to be in the UKWCKFA in the London area under Master James Sinclair but moved out of the area which is a shame as they had full time clubs.

I am currently a red sash, so not great yet but theres time for me to become the new Bruce Lee!

I find it really accessible as I am fairly vertically challenged so good to have no long or high kicks, all close quarter stuff and great for street defence.

Anyone else study wing chun on here?:)

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  14. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

Hi Millsie,

I have studied Wing Chun for about the last 20 years, under Sifu Clive Potter (and other senior students of Clive) taught by Wong Shun Leung, disciple of Ip Man. I have no gradings or sashes.

I also train various forms of Qigong, and Zhuan Zhong and other internal styles to balance out the considerable Yang approach of Wing Chun, with some Yin.

Cheers

Tony.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, MySQL OCA
    WIP: OCP MySQL DBA
  15. BosonMichael

Got a TKD tournament in mid-March, and testing for my Blue belt will be in April.

16. BosonMichael

Tournament was on Saturday. I got 1st in Forms and 2nd in Sparring... and... er... nothing in Board Breaking. :oops:

17. Kitkatninja

Congrats, your first tournament?

-Ken

18. BosonMichael

Second. My first one was in November (posted earlier in this thread), where I got 1st in Forms and Sparring. I must be slipping a little! :ohmy:oops::biggrin

19. Gingerdave

Congrats on a fantastic result chief!

20. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

OK..... so...... I'm sick of procrastinating..... Kuk Sool Won on Monday. Lets have iiittttt!!!!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs