Do you practise Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Mar 9, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'll tell him, and thanks mike. It was intense for them, but was worth it. He is now a white/red belt 8th kyu, next step yellow in six months. SO at least this grading didnt put him off!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll be testing next week for my L2 Green. February will be L3 Green testing, and I'll probably be at L1 Blue in April.

For those who are curious, the L1 Green belt is green with a white stripe. L2 Green is just green, and L3 Green is green with a black stripe.

EDIT: Time flies... looks like testing is THIS week!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

'm lazy and dont do any of these, so i have blended Feng Shui with Watching TV, it was hard training Regime
    But now after many years of practise, one could say a lifetime. I am 9th Steve ( or Dan in regular martial arts speakology). if anyones interested please pm me and I will organise a training session.

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  4. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

I've done Kempo or (Kenpo) for the past 10 years, I rember working in a web design team, and we all decided (whilest watching dragon ball z on the TVs on our desks) that it would be cool for us all to learn a diffrent martial art and start having epic kung-fu battles during project meetings (company went bust for some unknown reason :rolleyes: )...

...I started at my local kempo karate class for that reason and havn't stopped since. :biggrin

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  5. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Why these two? They are two completely different Martial Arts, what is it you want to train for? If for Practical self defence and not just to look good go for Wing Chun/Tsun, or if you want to get really fit and maybe learn some acrobatics go for Wushu. However I wouldn't even bother picking any until you know what is you want to improve as they all offer different skills.

In my opinion Jeet Kune Do is the best martial art ever invented, as it is designed to adapt to every individual and the foundation of it took the best bits from all the martial arts around at the time. The down side to it though is that there is no belt system, though some may not consider this a downside it means you must have a lot more self discipline to progress and become better.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

J.Hinds

My, limited, experiance with JKD is pretty mixed. What you say JKD is, and what it should be is completely customised to the individual as what works for them. A couple of times I have gone seminars where some JKD guys have been as well and there was a large percentage of them saying "Bruce Lee did it this way" with the intimation that if it was good enough for him it should be good enough for me.

Even still there are some great techniques in there and its an art I will do some more of properly at some point, However I want to ge some proper time done in Escrima/Kali first :D

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

ahh.. that's not right, JKD was never meant to be a set of predefined moves. I really do hope those people aren't influencing too many others, else over time the art may become lost in translation and that would be such a tragedy. "No martial art is superior to another, it's all about the individual..." :rolleyes:

Kali you say :p

Kali.. is.. alot of fun and fits quite nicely alongside JKD or Ninjitsu, I wish you all the best with your journey of it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well decided with all this talk of the MA and my resolution to get back into shape, I've decided to restart my training. Couldn't go back to karate due to ligament damage (I can't do certain stances, kicks, etc...), tried to return to karate even though the GP told me not to, did 3 months of training at 6th kyu level (which is well below what I use to do) and ended up packing it in because I couldn't walk without pain.

So, I decided to restart kickboxing as that didn't give my any problems (no low stances and less different types of kicks) - starting from the beginning as it's a different association and grading syllabus. I didn't realise how unfit I am. I use to training 5 times a weeks... But I was out of breath and struggling during the warm-ups :oops: But I guess having a break longer that the time I've spent training, it was bound to happen.

Oh well, I enjoyed the class and planning to continue. While it'd be great to gain another black belt, it's not what I'm aiming for.

Well said :)

-Ken

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Gingerdave

good Luck wih it Ken, let us know how you go.

10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

who the hell wants to feel like jackie chan or others? Bloody drills.

Certifications: CCNA
  11. Kitkatninja

Maybe, just maybe, if you did any research (and I don't mean watching martial art movies) you'd find out that the martial arts are more than just "Bloody drills".

Yes there is an element of physical exercise, however there's alot more to the martial arts like:

1. Respect
    2. Improved health
    3. Awareness
    4. Spirit
    5. Flexibility
    6. Focus
    7. Self-control
    8. Self-defence (don't confuse this with the ability to spar and fight)

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Added to that there are different types of martial arts, eg external hard (eg karate) to internal soft (eg Tai Chi). While the overall goal of all martial arts are more or less the same, what they concentrate on can be different.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Obvious troll is obvious.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. Gingerdave

giving the guy the bennifit of the doubt, some people just dont get it, they dont see the point - which is their right.

Its not their fault they're wrong! :biggrin

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

He got the benefit of the doubt many many many times already. Now it's obvious trolling.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep JKD is about finding your own way of doing all the martial arts. As Bruce Lee would put it It's the art of fighting without fighting. Basically meaning that using your knowledge and experience of martial arts if you are in a situation where you have to fight then the aim is get it over with as quickly as possible and without any major exertion.

Some places do make you stand there and practice drills and do kata all day long but good schools do not do this.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. BosonMichael

I'm going to slide right past the troll and state that I will be testing for my L3 Green Belt on Saturday... which means that two months from now, I'll be testing for my L1 Blue Belt. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  17. Kitkatninja

Sweet... Good luck :)

What Gup is that?

-Ken

18. BosonMichael

No idea... we don't use gups. Here's the TR-MAI TKD belt structure:

White
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Brown
    Red
    Black

Our school has three levels for Green, Blue, Brown, and Red. Two months for each testing cycle. I am not certain, but I believe Black Belts can test only every other cycle.

19. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

well i started tang so karate when i was 6 and did it up till i was 18 with a year and half off in the middle somewhere and reached 2nd duan black belt, but once got to that level it got really boring same old each class with nothing new being learned just a bit of a work out.

but after 3 years of nothing and no excerise at uni need to get fit again, so once ive finished these net+ course that joe does on a monday and thursday, one of my managers at work is brazillian and did BJJ from a young age till he moved over here and wants to get back into it, so we have seen a decent BJJ gym with the credentials to meet and will be starting that.

cant wait to be honest, BJJ is amazing.

20. Gingerdave

Sidimmu have you checked out The Gracie Unviersity which is taught by some of the grandmasters grand children.

The inital stuff teaches their more self defence (bear with me) slanted stuff and is an excellent resource. The program is called the Gracie Combatives program and was put together by looking at the families recorded fights since they got to the US and selected the techniques (both standing and on the floor) which got used with the most frequecy and success and thats the first belt. The techniques are taught from the basis of an unskilled opponent attacking you who is bigger and stronger than you, and the drills reflect this, hence the self defense bent.

Now I have some issue with what I will term the "marketing" surrounding BJJ - the traditional "90% of fights end on the floor " as well as their complete disregard of multiple opponents but I really do rate the combatives course for the following reasons:

1) The tecniques that are selcted are ones that when ground fighting I have found myself in and struggled. They have also been modified from the sports jitsu to minimise the ammount of damage that can be done to you by a striker while you are either closing the distance or actually grappling.

2) The course is very well structured with each lesson (either online or at their classes) broken down to easily taught and understood "slices" with basics, then variations then drills. The lessons are detailed without going overboard.

3) This really is a basics course and is really good for anyone who wants a grounding in some of the more common ground techniques.

If you watch UFC the brothers also do a regular breakdown of BJJ heavy fights on youtube with pointers.

hope some of this helps - and enjoy your time with BJJ