Do you practise Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Mar 9, 2010.

1. scousehouse

scousehouse Bit Poster

yep, Brazilian ju-jujitsu for me twice a week, best workout i have ever done and still feel the burn.. surfs up!

WIP: n+,mcdst
  2. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

Im sure this has been covered on this thread somewhere, but I didnt want to wade through 9 pages to find it!

Just this week I have started going to a boxing gym. I plan on going 3 times a week if poss.

At the ripe old age of 33, I am the pensioner among the group, but its a hell of a workout.:oops:

10 minute warmup of circuits round the ring then onto the punch bag, for 3 minute intervals with 30 sec rests.
    Then some sparring.
    Lastly core workouts off the edge of the ring, a real killer.
    Next up I hope to learn to skip rope properly.

I haven't ever sweated this hard on a 3 mile run!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  3. scousehouse

scousehouse Bit Poster

high intensity interval training kills doesn't it. have you ever tried a Kettlebell? they are EVIL...I have two 24kg's and one 16.

if you fancy the best conditioning, i really recommend them.

WIP: n+,mcdst
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Forgot to mention... I got my L1 Green belt last week. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Congrats BM!, still loving it then?

As for the family Twizzle mentioned with all the "black Belts" schools like that are known as McDojos or black belt factories/farms. The instruction is without fail the lowest quality, the gradings are more akain to turnup give us money and you can have a belt.

No Style, No technique no chance.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. BosonMichael

Absolutely... and the introduction of sparring makes it all the more fun!

I've noticed that our school promotes lower belts pretty readily... but as you work your way up, they get more and more strict... as they should. Getting a black belt is just the start of the journey, really.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I used to do Tae Kwon do, got the Black Belt second dan and obtained my instructor certificate to train younger kids. Won competitions then I switched to boxing followed by Mix Martial Arts. After doing MMA for a year, I kind of stopped do to other things in my life but I do want to go back. Right when I stopped I was actually working on my Jiu Jitsu skills.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats Mike! Keep it up, I'm sure you will. I look forward to hearing about your black belt in 2-3 years

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. IT Nerd

IT Nerd New Member

I began Tae Kwon Do in 1980. I stopped actively training/competing in 2005.
    I won't bore you with the broken bones, knee surgeries, blah, blah, blah.
    Anyone who's actively competed and trained for any length of time knows that story well.

I'm almost 45, so if I got back into active training at my age, Aikido is the way I would go.

I am a long-time student of the Art, so my learning and training will never be entirely over, but any active competition and formal training I will likely leave to others at this point.

I have never regretted it.
    It has been a positive in my life for sure.

10. IT Nerd

IT Nerd New Member

It wasn't always so commercialized.
    I remember before the height of the AIDS epidemic and before the "no blood rules" in competition.
    It was a different experience (at least where I was) for sure.

To be fair, it isn't always just about the money today. It is also about true Masters of the Art being responsible and not teaching more than one is able to responsibly receive.

It has become much more widely commercialized today for sure, but back then it was more common for a Master to teach the true Art to a select few students who had proven themselves trustworthy to be entrusted with things they just aren't going to teach a bunch of hobbyists today in an open class.

It was an Art back then, not just a hobby.
    There are things you don't want a 12 year old bully (or a twenty year old hot head) to be able to unleash on the underserving, so a responsible Master isn't going to teach the true Art to someone who hasn't proven themselves reliable to carry it responsibly.

As much as power is a part of the Art, so is control.
    We don't live in a society where everyone is rational and in control of their emotions and their actions.
    If you want the "real stuff", it's there, but you have to earn the right to be taught it.
    Otherwise, you'll find yourself questioning the motives of the so-called belt farms that are readily available to the masses.

11. BosonMichael

Had I not joined TKD because my sons were doing it, Aikido would have been my chosen art. :)

12. richrolls

richrolls Bit Poster

bjj, muy thai good times

13. BosonMichael

Going to my first TKD tournament this Saturday. Just forms and sparring... no board breaking or anything exotic. I stand a good shot... I often win the sparring matches amongst the other five Green belts at our academy - long legs are a serious advantage, I've discovered.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  14. BosonMichael

Well... I won. First in forms and sparring. :)

15. Gingerdave

Damn good effort - sounds like you are still enjoying it then.

16. BosonMichael

Yep! Still loving it. :) Fight Night is tomorrow night - a once-a-month, double-length class where we do nothing but spar. And it's a blast!

At the tournament, there were only 10 male Green belts participating... which they split evenly into two mats by age (medals were awarded per mat). Amazingly, I was the youngest guy on the "older" mat (ended up being ages 41-65). Sadly, most of the guys on my mat weren't really ready to compete. But I can only compete against the ones who show up... so I'll take the win and run with it. :p

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  17. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

I am looking at doing wing chun or wushu styled kung fu

Certifications: ITIL v3
    WIP: CCENT
  18. Gingerdave

A win is a win and I have seen many truely excellent people who spar at a club go to pieces in competition so dont belittle what you have done. Glad your still enjoying it though.

Heron

One country i have never done much of their stuff. I did a couple of lessons of wing chun on the sly with my old Jitsu instructor and I like the theory behind it very much - its just not one i have ever got to. Wushu looks to be a right giggle and brilliant if you want to be a stunt performer. Or just like being able to do flips with swords :D

19. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

John had his white belt 8th Kyu intermediate grading on saturday, (as he moved up he has to strat again, and will do again when in adult classes). This time round they had to train in front of Soke the master at his honbu. Its the first time any of teh intermediates had done this, and lets just say it came as a shock to most of them.

Apparently they all got sent out after 30 mins for not showing enough respect or attention, once they restarted 3 of them had to sit out as they were deemed not good enough to continue after only another 30mins.
    For the rest they had a 2hr grading, preluded by a 2mile bare foot run in the snow.
    I went to pick him up and they were still doing the fitness part. This comprised of half hour to 45mins of pushups, sit ups, squats, jacks followed by hip throws non stop and grappling kumite. Then after only a 1 min break for water a repeat of it all again. Finally they had to do 50 hip throws non stop each. To say you could see the agony and strain on most of teh faces was an understatement. This was definatley tougher and harder then any of them thought. It also shows that thier instructor dosent push them as hard as some of teh otehr instructors push thier classes.

Still, at the end all but the 3 at the start passed, and boy did they know they worked for it. But it was all smiles and laughter in the end. I can be proud as John was showing signs that he wanted to quit, face almost streaming in tears of pain and hurt, but he stayed to finish and didnt give in. Well done to all on this one, now onto the yellow belt in 6s months.

heres some pics at teh start.

http://plixi.com/p/59469957
    http://plixi.com/p/59471859
    http://plixi.com/p/59481202

sorry i have none for teh end, didnt take my camera, those were from the clubs twitter feed.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  20. BosonMichael

Wow, that's intense! Congrats to John!!