Do you practise Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What belt you going for?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Orange belt (8th Kyu). My daughters going for yellow (7th Kyu). It just seems to have come round really quick this time.

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. Kitkatninja

That's the problem when pride creeps in... There is no "best" style for everyone, however there is a "best" style per individual. I've seen different styles (including "street-fighting) beat each other in both fights and matches.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. Kitkatninja

Cool, so Heiyan Nidan for your daughter and Heiyan Shodan for you right?

-Ken

5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

I think the syllabus changed a little while ago. Its taikyoku shodan for me and Heiyan Shodan for the girl.

6. Kitkatninja

Well it has been about 8 years since I left TISKA, things are bound to change :)

-Ken

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I could have entered tournaments as a white belt... though all I'd be doing is showing off my white belt forms and escape skill drills... wooo!

That said, I don't think there are any tourneys near me until November... and I'll probably have tested for my green belt by then (October, I'm thinking, because I'm skipping a testing cycle). Unfortunately, green belt is when they start sparring, so I'll be going into the tourney as a sparring n00b. :unsure

Just takes time... which is SO hard to come by these days, it seems! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ha ha yes indeed, time and money are in short supply no matter where you live these days it seems and seeing as my boss tells me time IS money ....... I've got a headache ha ha:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Very often the case. Although I have done a few styles I view Jitsu as my "base" even though it wasn't the first, but being short and dumpy it works for me quiet well.

Doesnt seem to help so much with the fencing however :duel

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. BosonMichael

Fortunately, the money part isn't too bad... I'm free for 6 months, and it's only like $20-30/mo thereafter... I'm piggybacked on my son's membership.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Well, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself, so...

Me and the little one graded today and both passed. 8th Kyu Orange belt for me, and 7th Kyu Yellow for her.:)

12. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hey well done both of you! You'll be black belts in no time.

Sorry I missed your comment Mike, 6 months free is excellent!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Congrats! that's excellent news!

Well this week I passed my fencing beginners course which means I can now fence with other members of the club and they can have a reasonable expectation that I will do safely.

Great now I can get beaten by the whole club :oops:

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. BosonMichael

No need to be sorry - it's not really an old thread. And this is one of those threads that SHOULD be dug up every now and then!

Congrats!

15. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Thanks JK2447, GingerDave and BM. Had meant to say thank you last night but the after grading drinks went on a bit and I've just managed to drag myself off the sofa. On to the next one..

16. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well my son, John, got asked if he wanted to do his Shodan Ho junior JuJitsu grading in Aug. Its as high as he can go in his group. And its the last time his Instructor is holding this grading, from then on Brown/black is as far as any junior can get.
    And after that John has to start the Adults classes, goes from 1 hour a night to 2! big step for him. But its worth it as he's been doing this for four years now.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  17. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Just thought i'd dig up this old thread to let you guys know, after a 2 1/2 hour session last Sunday morning, my son John, graded to Shodan Ho in his Jujitsu school. This grade is as high as he can go in his class, and means he's now a junior instructor. He recieved teh belt tonight after the lesson, good timing as his birthdays tomorrow (15!). Now he moves on to teh intermediates or adults class.

It was a tough grading, including a 2 mile run, 1/2hour fitness test as well as all the moves and a start at 8:30! Only 4 students took part this time around and all 4 passed, which is good news as the club are no longer going to do this grading due to pupils not being interested in what it means and what it takes to get it. Johns keen to move up to the next class, but also understands his responsibilities and wishes to still take part in the junior classes as an instructor, and for a 15 year old i'd consider that a great attitude to have.

18. BosonMichael

Congrats to your son! :)

I've purposely held off testing for my TKD Green Belt until October... can't wait, because then I'll be able to spar. :box2

19. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Mike. He had quite a week of training last week as he had his summer camp in the dojo from 10 till 3 each day, then the normal lesson on the monday night and then his grading on the sunday after. He even ended up taking part ina mini contest they held during the summer camp and came first in teh take down and hold. He's doing well and i just hope he carries it through to the adults classes.

I left teh shodan ho grading upto him, letting him decide if he was ready. But it is a one off and teh last time teh schools doing that grading, so did help persuade him a bit, as it was such a great oppertunity. If i didnt think he could do it i would have said so but still left the choice to him. Its always worth waiting until your sure your ready and not go rushing in. Martial Arts is about technique, skill and preperation, not about belt grabbing as fast as you can.

Apparently, some family in teh area, studying Karate, went from white belt to black belt in 6 months. All 5 members in 6 months??? Too fast, bet they dont have good technique or skill.

20. BosonMichael

Absolutely. The Black Belts at our center told me, "Look at it this way - the extra two months of being a Yellow Belt will allow you to perfect the fundamentals... something that some people with higher belts don't yet have." So, yeah, I'm all about building a strong foundation.

Wow... that's insane. The farthest I could have gone in 6 months would have been mid Green Belt (above the junior and senior Green Belt ranks). :blink