Do you practise Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Mar 9, 2010.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Then allow me to rephrase. Like most violent sports it can and does attract the wrong kind of people.

I'm addicted to this sport but also find myself defending it to people. I hate when its called "cagefighting". I never bring it up around people into more traditional MA except if its a Jiu Jitsu guy as I have a background in it.

I train BJJ gi and no gi. Wrestling, kickboxing and specific MMA. I'd like to train boxing as well but can't fit it in:cry:

My point was simply that some clubs aren't picky about their members and some coaches are a holes. Luckily I found a good club with decent guys second try.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Me too mate. I've been to watch one of the boys from the wado club who also trains in Kyokushinkai. We do not do press ups with two fingers per hand and neither do we get the "chicken run" on our birthday!

I have also done a little bit of mma stuff. the gym is boxing training with mma emphasis. I agree that whilst it does give that impression, it really depends on who is taking the class and who attends in all honesty.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

lol 100% most annoying thing in the world,

i do MMA

whats MMA ?

Mixed Martial Arts

Whats that

Cagefighting

ah right cagefighting

ye unfortunately any sport that lets you hit people attracts the wrong kind but its like u say finding a good place I consider myself lucky as the guy who coaches us is a good bloke.

we worked on where to land leg kicks last night bare shin no guards im a sore today lol

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+
  4. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

ye it really does the early origins of MMA were quite bad but its as close as ull get to a real fight but in the safest sanctioned way possible

5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'd agree, Wado-Ryu is more stances and technique than Power and speed. I learnt alot when i trained in it, maily about using your body to pivot and provide teh power than developing muscle strength. The katas are long but great when you master one.
    I trained in Devon under Sensei Peter Hill who trained with one of the Japanese masters Toru Takamizawa (now sadly passed away)

I do prefer the arts and styles that concentrate on spirit, technique and forms that on Speed, strength and aggression. If you cant focus your mind while sparring you cant win a match, power can only take you so far.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I can provide no other input on this topic except to say that I found that ^ vaguely amusing, ended up with this weird image in my head of the karate kid films as performed by Mike Reid....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Nice article, but to my mind it brings a couple of points

1) there are idiots who bring every sport down, MMA is no exception

2) A symantic difference maybe but I think that there is a difference between MMA the sport and the practise of mixing martial arts.

3) MMA as a sport has a long way to go in the public eye before it is well regarded

4) The guy arguing with Dan Hardy was a complete moron.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

agreed

example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiCTw0WPEL8&feature=player_embedded

I believe your right when you talk about the difference, when MMA started the mixed aspect was not from people doing more the one MA but from the 2 fighters style's being different.

it has a very long way to go to shake the blood sport image

ye the guy made a complete fool of himself

was very impressed with Hardy in the way he spoke to made his point he doesnt seem like that when you here him talking in other situations

10. Gingerdave

I for instance consider myself a mixed martial artist, in that my style (and it is mine) has evolved by doing lots of arts of a long period of time and cherry picking the bits that work for my body type, for instance when quizzed at TKD about kicking people in the head I explained that if I am doing that I have generally thrown them to the floor first as being 5' 7" and a touch rotund I find it difficult to kick people north of 4' 8" in the head!

My "style" shows through regardless of which art I do, a point I get chastised for often by instructors because people can tell I don't do "pure" Karate or "pure" thai.

If what you are saying is true about the origin of the term as it releates to the sport then I dont think it can be called that anymore as nearly all the fighters do some thai, some boxing and some Brazillian Jitsu. The amounts of each vary but not massively so. I can only think of a few fighters Kario Parysian (thats spelt wrong but I cant look it up at the mo) does Judo instead of BJJ and makes it work.

Hardy was very eleoquent and on point.

11. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I am a Grand, supreme master of NO WAY HOO ZEE!!, I can ignore any request from a 100 paces

My apathy is in demand world wide, I can be apathetic in a blink of an eye.

Right now I could probably take out a building with one sneeze from my man flu!

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  12. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

When I left Crewe (joining the army) the club had folded due to instructors moving on and no-one from the crew of 3rd year students (at that time anyway) able to take it on ... and being a bit too far for a visiting instructor to come. I had dropped out of Uni by then anyway and the Student Union frowned on locals / townies / non-academics doing stuff with college sport clubs.

Training whilst in Crewe consisted of the Judo clubs at the sports centre (still going it seems) and the polish club (not too sure) but mainly travelling over to Sandbach to the judo club there. The TKD club there was fantastically enthusiastic though and I did enjoy that they were happy for me to use it to concentrate on my balance / speed / strength. The Tai-jutsu club in the town was very cliquey ... they only liked me as I was happy to be the dummy to be thrown around or the punch bag ... in fact I was called that a few times. The instructors were not that inspiring apart to be honest.

Crewe and Nantwich Martial Arts Academy got going not long after I left and some friends moved over there to train and I've heard good things about Colin and Lindsay, but never got to train with / under them. Sorry I can't be of more help ... been out of the area too long and sort of resigned myself not to be doing it anymore, so have lost contacts.

13. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

I do boxing and soccer!

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My younger son (age 5) finally started TaeKwonDo last week... so tonight, I think I'm going to tie on the White Belt and start my studies as well. Here's the training center's page - I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good on you mate, thats brilliant and even better its something you can have in common with your son.

You have inspired me, I'm going to go to my local Jujitsu club when its next on :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  16. BosonMichael

A couple of years ago, my older son (age 7) progressed all the way through the Tiger Cub belt system and into a normal White Belt when he decided to give it up. He says that he will start again when his brother gets through the Tiger Cub program. Hopefully, Daddy will have advanced by then so I can help them train. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  17. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

When I was a little kid I used to go to a chuck norris karate studio. It was pretty cool here is little wikipedia article about the style of karate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chun_Kuk_Do

Just did it for a few years because soccer didn't leave enough time to continue on as I started getting towards my teenage years. These days what little exercise I get comes from the Tuesday night pick-up soccer games. I need to start getting back to the gym though. There are guys that have quite a few years on me but still run circles around me as I try to catch my breath after making one run!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  18. Gingerdave

Well done BM, I had fun when I was doing TKD, I didnt do it for long as it was just to fill in some time for the more mixed class I was doing on the other nights and got the TKD for free for a while. However it just looked unnatural to have a fat man do the tornado kick!

19. BosonMichael

Well, my first night's done... and I've got a green stripe to show for my efforts! :thumbleft

20. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Well done, that man! :D

How are your muscles today then?