do you practice what you preach - IT wise

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rockstar6181, Oct 2, 2006.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

Do you always install latest updates as they are released, run virus scans/spyware scans daily/weekly? run scandisks, clear up temp files, defrag etc etc

Even though I have always preached these types of things to other people, I dont always follow my own adivce, every now and then I do some house keeping on the PC other than that I live on the edge :rolleyes: :biggrin :oops:

what about you?

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Same here, to be honest I have all my stuff backed up so I am not scared if something happens to my computer such as viruses or hackers tryin to break my computer and stuff, plus I have ghost images if anything, so it takes 5-10 min to do a restore and thats it.

So to answer your question yes I do performe maintenance but not often 1 every 2 weeks at most.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Sorry to disagree with you guys..but yes I practice what I preach :rolleyes:

The network I administer runs a weekly background virus and spyware scan on all PC's (without the user being able to stop it!!), a nightly incremental back up with one full one weekly and a rootkit searching day every month to check for those pesky global hooks!!

I have also a similar setup at home but without the incremental backups, just one full one a week.

The reason for all of this is simple, I have had to deal with a hacked network and it's not pleasant! Plus its not as easy to re-install 25 pc's and 3 servers and make sure they are configured with a weekend! :ohmy

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

For the most part I tend to practice what I preach.

At work I must make sure that backup and disaster recovery plans are in place, so the rules are stringently adhered to. All of the user data is stored on the network which is backed up daily, with an even bigger backup taking place weekly, that not only backs up the data, but also the system state stuff and other things too (even our backup Ghost images get backed up in the weekly backup).

At home, since I tend to store everything that I need on a USB stick I tend to back it up to another USB stick once a week, or if a large amount of data has been changed on my 'working' stick.

As for programs and stuff, I like to trash my comp every now and then anyway, so it's great fun remembering what you need to reinstall. I used to have a list of stuff to install, but then I bought a Mac and everything changed!

8)

5. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

I never used to, till I got infected once... now I backup my data every week, and my AV/Spyware etc is always on and run daily.

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  6. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Nope. I've never backed up any of my computers and I rarely defrag... I practically never update the OS either. My AV and anti scumware are updated daily. But I've never run a full virus scan. Not that I need to...:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  7. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

I thought most of you would be like me :twisted:

If its a work pc/client pc etc then goes without saying I do it by the book but when it comes to my own i just cant be bothered lol 8)

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'm not really responsible for that kind of thing at work, but I'm probably a bit over the top with it at home.

I've got a differential backup scheduled every night with a full backup once a week. I keep the last two full backups in case I have to restore things to an earlier time and I also take a full drive image about once a month as it's quicker than reinstalling Windows.

I don't need to defrag because I use Buzzsaw which defrags on-the-fly, although I do use dirms (sister app of Buzzsaw, very intensive third-party defragger) every couple of weeks to make sure.

My anti-spyware runs a quick scan daily and a full scan once a week and I run ad-hoc spyware and AV scans every weekend while I'm doing other stuff. I always install updates for every-thing (most of it's automated anyway), and I have quite a strict user account policy even though it's only my GF and I that use the PC.

I'm a bit sad really aren't I?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Never bothered with it at home.

Pretty poor really, from a Security Admin I suppose, but to be honest, I've never had a virus, never been hit with a worm and never had any problems with malware.

My firewall is locked down tight against intrusion (not that I haven't seen several concerted attempts at hacking me - usually be people I know!) and the only thing I DO regularly do is patch - this is all handled by WSUS, so I don't need to do anything myself - which is nice.

I regularly undertake internal pen tests using Auditor and updated attack defs, just to make sure there's no naughty little vulnerabilities floating around. in the past, I've toyed with the idea of setting up a honeynet. When i move to my new job, if I get the time, I'm going to do it, just because it gives me a thrill watching attacks as they're happening. When Slammer hit, I was working as a DBA. It was so cool to sit there watching all that traffic rinsing people's SQL Servers, safe in the knowledge that our firewall was correctly configured!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

(at home)
    i back my emails and docs prob like once a week or once a forthnight, and not fussed about anything else, virus def updates daily and scans daily (automatic), i do a adware scan and reg fix scan once a month, and thats it, not really too fussed, as i kow how to fix things if things go pearsheaped (or know where to go

At the end of the day, its easier for us to be that little bit careless, as being IT tech, we know how to get a computer back up and running to a normal state, if we cant do it at home, then we defo wouldn't be doing it at work...

...interesting thread though.

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Now practising what you preach is just a daft idea. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

...but preaching what one practices would be much worse, I'm sure 8)

:tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I do fairly regular backups at home because my wife nags me to :oops:

I haven't been hit from a virus since I have used AVG.

I have been hit by malware though, but not since I dropped IE.

I run defrag when I am bored but have never really seen a performance boost.

I don't have kids, so my home LAN is less vulnerable than most peoples!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)