Do you enjoy your job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Lozler, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Too bad I can't seem to be able to edit my answer anymore... My title has changed as I got a promotion on friday. YAY!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  2. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

Job Role: IT Trainer
    Time there: 4 years
    Good: Being paid to talk to people about computers and computing. Meeting new people. Travelling around the country visiting client sites. Getting involved in new projects early on so that I can create training for them.
    Bad: I hate people who don't turn up for a session, but don't bother telling you that they can't make it. Not getting involved in new projects early enough so that I can create training for them.

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Job Title - IT sys tech at a school
    Time in role - 2 months
    Good - Support lots of systems/good variety of technology, work with nice people on immediate team
    Bad - Salary means I can't be financially independent any time soon, no real career development without moving on, not alot of staff with a majroity middle aged and hence social side is potentially bad, alot of time tedios work/low level support calls.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Let me know what you want to change and I will edit the post for you. :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. _it_

_it_ New Member

Job Role: IT Support Technician
    Time there: 15 months
    Good: Working for a small company and being the only "IT person" (well, a few developers, but I'm the only person looking after our servers, network etc) I get to do absolutely everything. I get to choose the products, plan the infrastructure, buy everything,, install it all and support it afterwards so really varied job role. My manager's a developer and doesn't know a lot about servers so he completely trusts me with what I recommend (even though I've only got three years commercial IT experience, two of them on a helpdesk). Lovely colleagues, no unsocial hours (unless the server decides to die over the weekend...).
    Bad: Being the only one there isn't anyone to exchange ideas with, discuss things, develop ideas etc. And no one to moan to about the users :) Pay isn't brilliant and it's too much work at the moment so I can't concentrate on the really important things. Getting a junior soon though so that will hopefully solve this.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA (2003), MCITP SA 2008, Enterprise Support Technician
    WIP: MCITP 2008 EA
  6. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I can relate to most of your post. But my days tend to go from being bored (although I make good use of my time but stuck at the desk the whole day!) to stupidly busy. Totally agree about the exchanging ideas etc..

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Job Role: Systems Administrator
    Time There: 2 Years
    Good: Very relaxed atmosphere, good pay, no 'hard and fast' time restrictions for lunch etc, good team, excellent boss, get to play around with a lot of new technology and increase product knowledge, training, trust, location (I can walk to work)
    Bad: Nothing really. Progression may be difficult - glass ceiling.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Role : Senior Systems Admin - but only me know :)
    Time : 8 years - part of the furniture
    Good : perfect job for helping my missus raise 4 kids, close to home and school, very relaxed place
    Bad : limited scope for technical and career advancement

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  9. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Role: "Covert operator" at the Geeksquad (Second Line support)

Time: Just over a month.

Good: Pay is high for the work, get new tech from vendors ages before release, atmosphere is non-stressful at all and there are a whole range of people working here from all walks of life. 33 days holiday a year, get anything from bestbuy at cost + 5%, free gym membership, free CPD courses, subsidised food the list goes on.

Bad: I'd like the commute to be a little less but that's hardly the job's fault, I accepted it afterall!

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  10. jamesclimax

jamesclimax Nibble Poster

Role - Technical Lead (started out as a Technical Service Desk agent - basically helpdesk, was promoted to Technical Lead last year)
    Time - coming up to 4 years in January
    Good - it's my first IT job, so learned a lot, got my foot on the ladder, close to home, it's one of the world's biggest IT companies, helped greatly in studying for certs, etc.
    Bad - boring, there's only about 10 actual fixes we do, and the majority are user profile issues and slow running workstation issues

But like i've already posted, I start my new role as Development Build & Support Technician in 2 weeks (same company, same building), which is basically supporting Fujitsu Mainframes - a whole new area for me, lots to learn (my new boss has already paid for me to go on 2 residential courses in February) and i'm really looking forward to the challenge

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: MCTS 70-659, Oracle, SQL, ITIL