Do we have a sexism issue?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Waqas Ahmed, May 14, 2015.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I don't have a problem with that, Simon - I have a lot of banter with work colleagues and some of it's flirty (I'm an open lesbian, not that that matters one jot, flirting with blokes is hilarious). The problem I have is with people I don't know, doing the same on the phone. Anonymous customers, suppliers, etc. And I (unfortunately) encounter a lot of people on the phone. I even had to terminate one conversation. Seriously. A customer was comparing me to his deceased girlfriend, that I sounded like I was beautiful, asked if I was married. That's not flirting. That's out-of-order creepy.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why is his girlfriend buried under the patio ? :)

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Easier to get away with it?? ;)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I found when I was talking with people on the phone that you start to get a rapport with them (especially clients \ suppliers) and sometimes discussions would go beyond work, nothing wrong with remembering that we are all individual people rather than automatons. I obviously didn't go over the top with flirting but there is nothing wrong with again having a laugh and taking peoples minds off the issues they may be having (certainly getting irate customers on side was important to me, sure they may have had issues but if it meant them smiling during the converstation rather than swearing at me \ putting the phone down I know which I would prefer.

I get what you mean about coming on to complete strangers and tbh I find that the people who do this live somewhat isolated lives, their bravery at the end of the phone is just that, it's at the end of the phone, call their bluff and they would run a mile.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    dmarsh likes this.
  5. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

Hmmm... For me, I think I'd COME ACROSS as flirting, because I talk to...everyone, and it can perhaps come across as "chatting someone up" when I'm like "I only wanna talk"

Apexes makes a good comment with regards to hairdressing. Maybe it's (general) human behaviour for men to (generally) seek one type of job and women to (generally) seek another kind of job

I was talking to some people yesterday, because they were judging something I had to do (from industry) - I had no idea, if the people came from HR or from IT, or wherever tbh! So I asked all of them - women or men, if they were "IT" Though at one point, I think the non IT women didn't seem very engaged :D - even if I tried to break it down in to "laymans terms"

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I disagree about people only having a single type of job, in my life I have had two distinct careers, neither of which was in any way similar (soldier in the British Army and IT Consultant).

I would say that personality wise I am a much different person now then when I was a soldier.

7. Waqas Ahmed

Oh when I said a "type of job" I didn't mean a specific job, or area, but a category of jobs. Like creative jobs/office jobs/professional jobs/manual labour jobs. That sorta stuff. Like you dont see many women in manual labour jobs!

The army has always been ahead of society, in social terms though!

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well the Army isn't a 'specific' job, it's a type of job (lots of different career options there). IT is a type of job.
    You can have many different types of jobs through out your career, I had an ex girlfriend of mine, started out in Marketing and Communications, went in to PA work but also spent time waiting on tables as well as dancing around poles (I kid you not). All different jobs but just one part of her career.

9. Waqas Ahmed

Do you know where she works. For er..research purposes :p Im guessing she wasn't an "exotic dancer" then :D

Bu yah that's true. I was more trying to re-iterate what someone else said ie: you dont find many guy hairdressers! I was also getting at that the army has always been more socially progressive ie: racism was less of an issue in the army than in general British society, until maybe the 80's?? - considering that you would have met with people all over the world for some 200-300 years prior to that

Same with sexism, stamping out homophobia, anti-Semitism, Islamophobia etc...Society was a late adopter, socially. (Though we probably still have quite a bit of Islamophobia in the media these days still, but that's another topic entirely!)

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually, yes I do :) she is now the PA to the MD of a major software company :) but to be fair she is now a woman in her 40s :)

Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  11. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Is that Agism Simon? Are you suggesting she could no longer swing on poles because of age? Tehehe

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  12. Waqas Ahmed

I thought with "exotic dancers" they were classed as self employed? Though his ex gf may or may not have been an "exotic dancer" :D

13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Realism ;)

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Ahh she did it more for the thrill it gave her than the thrill it gave anyone else.

Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  15. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sounds like my IT career

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

+1 mate, I do my career because it works for me, when it get's boring I will do something else.

Waqas Ahmed likes this.
  17. Waqas Ahmed

More than a year later. I've since been fired because a client made a racist comment towards me. I complained (to their employer, instead of mine) My employer said that I "jeapordised the contract" and tbh I'm kinda glad that I've been let go from a company that says that they've lost their trust in me after I complained about racism from a client..

Any way, the things below weren't directed directly at me. I felt unease with it from pretty much day one. Call it institutionalised sexism if you will, as yknow HR saw these posters and didn't care - they came down from head office to do the firing

I saw in an office, a pretty attractive woman,very 1950s style,very damsel in distress saying "Please don't throw me away. Use the recycling bins instead" and another with a woman in bed, pretty seductively so with her duvets over her saying "These sheets look so crisp and inviting. Please don't print if you don't have to" I've been told that well these are potentially harmful to say...victims of domestic violence ie: the throwing away, and recycling comment

So it seems that sexism does exist (And it seems not racism per se, but apathy towards racism) at least in one company. I am shocked, that this does happen in the networking world tbh

18. Waqas Ahmed

Hmm I can't see where to edit my comment above... Any how, I see yes I should have complained to my employer instead of theirs, but I figured "There's no way that the company itself is racist. We're in 2016" and my employer didn't care about their employees it seems

Any how, this other company (non IT) seems to have a bad history of sexism and racism, right at the very top. I can't name the company due to an NDA that I signed.