Do I pick the phone or the computer...

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Missy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

King of Punctuation Gav? :rolleyes: how did u figure that one out? :D but your right Gav, there is a light to indicate that the ethernet port on the router modem is active and if this is either solid or blinking then it means its active, if its not doing either then maybe the cable itself is faulty or the port on either the PC or the modem is faulty. but remember Missy did say she was using the USB port!! hence why the ethernet light is not active...so in this case we will disregard the ethernet port as its not in use...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Totally agree - I realised after I posted, but it was too late by then.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

How many phone sockets do you have in the house? If you have more than one can you plug the phone and the adsl modem into the different sockets?

*with the microfilter connected to the socket from which you use your pc.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I think she only has the one socket nugget mate. otherwise we would have had the problem solved by now...think the first few posts have covered this already by Gav...

isnt weird how some houses only have 1 phone socket? I mean whose idea was it to put just one phone socket in the house? not to mention some of them being in the weirdest places as well...methinks I will start a poll on this...:rolleyes:

5. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi Dave, I think I am going to get another phone socket put in my studio next to the computer, that might solve things and yes your right BT charge £110 to do the job, thieving b*&%^*(+s so it's going to have to be a local lecky. thanks for Pms i am reading them now...
    Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Dave ??? :blink

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Just picked up on this thread and I can't offer anything that hasn't been said, sorry. :(
    Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

is my new name Dave then? :eek:

9. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi 'Noelg24'
    Well have been busy with the BT man and a very nice man indeed.
    We tested the modem and phone and microfilter in the test socket, everything was ok, then the double socket for the microfilter and the phone,ex.
    Everything is GREAT....:-)) Because I was told by 3 BT people to only use 1 microfilter, because i have only got 1 phone, 'wrong' so now i have 2 micro filters ,1 at the phone socket and 1 from the from the ex to the com.
    How simple was that, he was really good at explaining things.
    I told him to come on here, so he's having a look tonight.
    I cant believe iv'e had this problem because they told me to use only 1 microfilter <:-)
    Now i have only got to sort out Zone alarm urrrrrrr :-(
    Cheers Missy

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well glad that was cleared up...now whats the problem with Zone Alarm....how come I didnt think of using 2 filters? well hold on...so let me get this right...your gonna have an ext box put in the room where the PC is and have a filter in there and another filter in the main socket downstairs and no more need for an extension cable...correct?

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Erm, Missy, sorry to be a smart-arse here, but didn't I mention this in the first post after your question ? :oops:

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ah yes u did Jak but that was before I suggested she get an extension box fitted in the room where the PC is as she was only using a 10m extension cable beforehand...blimey are we feeling ok today people?

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Ah yeah, I missed the part about the new socket being put in - my apologies, Folks ! :oops:

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

no probs Jak...think some of us are not properly awake today....

15. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

I knew that you had to put a microfilter on all appl... but they told me "BT tech team" that with only having 1 phone that i would only need 1 microfilter... there ment to be the prof, so you take there word for it when you dont know anything about Microfilters.
    I will still get another phone socket for my studio. Thanks to all, will have to work out how to explain my problem with Zone Alarm, anyway i would like a day off from problems.:-)
    Missy