do i have to...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sappleton, Sep 4, 2007.

1. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

i thought it was all computer based learning

this self-study is starting to sound more appealing,

problem is, i wouldn't know where to start, e.g.

what books to buy
    how much cheaper it will be
    when and where exams are held
    what to study and not to study
    what i need to learn for the exams

any suggestions?

also, with training providers you pick a subject you like and they choose the certain exams you take

would i still earn enough points to live in australia?

i thought these providers helped you find a job afterwards too, i.e. ill be more recognised than doing myself

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I know you are new to the industry, but you need to clear your head of the mentality of things being handed to you/done for you.

Its your responsibility, and yours alone, to decide what certifications are best for your career. Its also your responsibility to do the learning for yourself. Even in a classroom environment you will need to motivate yourself to pay attention, do any 'homework' and very possibly study outside the class.

As for what to do, first you need to decide where you want to go with your IT career. what interests you. Once you have that, we can help narrow down available certs for you, and we can even offer recommendations based on the (considerable) experience here.

Whether you choose to go for the classroom or self study, this is your first task. Investigate the courses, see what their objectives are, and decide what suits you best. Then you can start to look for course material. Dont try to run before you can walk.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

my main interests are web design and e-commerce if that helps

4. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

I wandered if i should start by trying to pass the CIW associate exam , would this be a good way to start?

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Here is a link to the CIW certification path:

http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/program.asp

The associate does seem like an excellent way to start. Working towards Master CIW designer seems to encorporate everything you are interested in.

Here are the requirements for the CIW associate : http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/foundations.asp

And finally, CIW books on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...rch=1&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=CIW

Read the reviews - they are often quite informative and constructive.

As for the self study route being cheaper than a training provider - just trust us, it will be much cheaper for you to self study.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes that would probably be a good idea, although I know nothing about CIW courses and what materials to use if you self study there will be people on here that will.

You will also find the answers to your questions about exams etc from other people too.

When you go with a training provider you get stuiff to read and have web based stuff or a cd rom to learn from but it costs you a lot of money.

I have known people who have done courses with a training provider that cost them the price of a decent car.

If you search through this forum you'll find many threads with people asking about skillstrain etc you'll also find out that some people have been very dissapointed with providers too as they thought they were getting a magic wand to pass the exams for the ££££££££££££s they've paid

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

8. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster