Do i go too far

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 19, 2008.

1. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I'm not offended by your pics Cheeks. Maybe to keep things on an even keel for the guys who read CF at work you should post thumbnails, then the pic is too small to cause problems in the work place but easy to click when at home to get the full 'Cheeks' style on the screen. Just don't stop posting them, stuff like that helps create the good atmosphere CF enjoys.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What would be wrong with simply posting a hyperlink with an (NSFW) designation? Then, we could choose to click or not click, without even thumbnails to get people in potential trouble. Everybody wins.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I may adopt the attachment. At least there's like a "sneak" preview...
    ...hyperlinks sounds good, but with my background, i dont think many will click on the links (do you guys remember this one )! Dont worry, the main one has been removed due to violation! (Mitzs and AJ will be pleased to hear that).

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I tend to agree that some caution should be adopted, personally i thought that pic of the girl with the hose down her shorts, was stunning. My wife wasn't so impressed, especially as i was fixated on it for a good ten minutes as she stood beside me. oops :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

"If in doubt, don't do owt!" :biggrin

Not shocking, but it can get a little boring after a while.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Naaa, you need to keep the element of surprise.

Post away! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

:hhhmmm I was somewhat suprise to see this thread!!:ohmy

Can't help wondering why you feel the need to ask this question Mr C?

Has someone had a go at you?
    :blink

The only picture that really went too far (and that was because I was drinking coffee and dunking my cookies) was this one:-

Happy Birthday AJ!

Although ..hang on a minute:ohmy that picture has changed??? I'm sure there was another one there showing more crumbs and Naked flesh:eek:

Have you changed it?:blink

I think members here would be Disapointed if you stopped posting those pics!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Dam! I must of missed that one:(

Can someone post the picture/link here again?:twisted::twisted::p

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Mr.Cheeks

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Pete:super

Rep left:rocks

12. Mr.Cheeks

:blink

What for?

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Posting that picture, makes a great wallpaper on the laptop:biggrin

Also it's good to see, as a staff member of CF, he's not too bothered about these types of pictures8)

14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Lets get this in perspective. My test is if it is blocked at work, that being a school, then is should not be here.

UCM the same should be for you working in a hospital, unless your filtering is easier than ours.

I like a joke as much as the rest of you, but please do not quote me or any other member of staff when trying to justify posting material that may be unappropriate for CF. That is not aimed at you Mr. C

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

AJ - you'd be suprise how simple the firewall settings are at work! It annoys the hell out of me when I am told by the network admin that it is not their job to police the internet at work! They are just there to maintain it!

This means that anyone using the internet to look at sites for online betting, facebook and playing java
    games while at work can do so!:dry Which also leads to spyware and antivirus and eventually computer failure!:(

Which is when the call is raised to fix the computer!
    :x Still it keeps the dept busy!8):rolleyes:

16. AJ

Then thank goodness your network people don't work for a school. Everything that is gambling, Pr0n, facebook, online games and the like is banned and for good reason. No it isn't me that blocks it, I actually don't have access to the firewall or the web page filtering. However, I agree with the filtering that goes on. Whilst at work I am there to do a job and those kind of sites are not for the workplace, certainly not a school (I'm kind of lucky that CF is still OK).

To clarify, as you asked me, if it doesn't get through our filters then I will wait to get home and look VERY closely at the material. Then if I deem it to be unworthy of CF I will ask the other mods to take a look and ask their opinions. I DO NOT normally take action unilaterally and neither do any of the other mods, but if any post breaks rules then it will get unapproved and discussed by the mods.

I hope that answers your question.
    AJ

17. Sparky

I get what the network admin is saying but there are products that will filter web traffic for spyware so perhaps that would be a worthwhile upgrade and free up some of your time which is taken up removing spyware from infected PCs.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

True but- they have software that detects spyware not adaware and doesn't remove it. There are 6 of us in the team who have come across infected computers and have given a list of IP address to the network admin. Only to find he has done nothing with it!

I and others in the team have already gone done that road and always hit a brick wall "yes that's a good idea and in time we will upgrade but not today!! "

You can't blame the users, because a lot of them don't know what they are downloading, they just click on the yes button!:rolleyes:

The worst one by far is that Antivirus XP 2008 spyware, that states it has found over 300 infection on the PC and tricks the users into downloading it!:eek:

I just feel we need more/tighter security's on what users can access

19. AJ

It must still be the Network Managers job to ensure that there is tyhe correct technology in place to monitor these things. Otherwise who is to say who was view what web page and when.

Price up and get a barracuda web filtering/caching device. Expensive but well worth the mony. And it covers everyones ass in the process.

20. Sparky

Yup, that would help. Im surprised that kinda spyware can get through your firewall tbh, thought there may be something in place that would filter it out.