Do degrees equal employability?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kitkatninja, Oct 16, 2010.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I beleive they certainly did for me, a Computer Science degree is virtually mandatory for a decent programming career. Sure there are exceptions, but its a great help when starting out and a general good education. Also many companies will look for it throughout your career.

You'd be surprised who you could be up against in interviews nowadays and degrees are very common, just like certs, not having one may or may not cost you the job.

2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I would say its not if you have a good maths or physics degree I know plenty of people that entered software development with these degrees and as I originally said head hunted in some cases.

I have up against Oxford several times the last time was in 2000 and i got the job :) me little college and uni drop out was most gratifying. Like I said I still wish I completed my degree looking back.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I totally agree due to my experiences thus far in IT. <my2cents>I think the reason a computer science degree can really help you if you want to become a developer/programmer is that you can learn languages on your degree, and often create your own programs which can be demo'd and discussed at interview. I also feel that a degree becomes less important if you go into support work, as again, in my experience, my degree didn't actually enable me to fix much, more know whats going on inside those bits of silicon.</my2cents>

Erm..... well done.... personally taking on Oxford itself no less! You did well to eclipse Professor Peter Jeavons...:twisted:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs