DNS Logging

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zebulebu, Sep 5, 2006.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Chaps

Anybody come across any nifty utilities out there that you can use to scrape DNS logfiles from the raw .log format into a database?

As any of you who have ever had the misfortune to try and sort through a load of DNS logs will know, M$ don't exactly make it easy for you trying to pin down the nature of any problems you may be experiencing - the log files are written to text in such a haphazard way that no amount of fussing over delimiters in Excel will help you get a consistent format.

What I'd ideally like is something that does all the grunt work of sorting through them - even if it means me putting in regular groundwork every day. At present, I've got debug logging on my LAN turned on in preparation for turning it on for one DNS server thats been giving us problems at work for weeks.

If anyone's interested, currently, the logfiles generated from my DNS server at home - providing resolution for just me, my wife and any systems on my LAN - are averaging out at about 4.5 - 5Gb PER DAY. Obviously, when I go in and turn this on in my production network, I won't be running it for more than about five minutes!

Anyone found a utility that can help?

Cheers in advance :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No mate, I couldn't come up with anything :(

Have you thought about switching the errant DNS server to Simple DNS Plus?

I haven't used it but it seems to have a good reputation.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Took the liberty of Posting your Query on MCSE World.

There is a possible solution here.

Many thanks d! :D