DNS error

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Leehaa, May 3, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

I've been playing with my virtual domain (2003 DNS server with XP pro clients)- purposefully trying to break stuff to get to know it a bit more. Btesting to see what happens if you try and add a new user/computer name when there was already one by same user/computer name previously...well it wouldn't let me, and when I joined the new pc to the domain, it was fine, but said it'd be joined as the original computer name, which was cool, but...

...As i've deleted the console / hard disk for the original computer, I then went into active directory and deleted / re-created the computer account and the new computer is now on thedomain with same details of original one...

The only thing is that my newly created account cannot be seen when I try pinging it's name...it can be seen via ip address, but not by name...

-Correct DNS server is set up in TCP/IP settings on client

-"Register this connections address as DNS" is also selected

...I tried register dns via command prompt on client, but, after 15 min, got errors in the event viewer:

"The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
    with settings:

Adapter Name : {72D1FC6B-C4A6-4EAE-A94D-D90E763509DC}
    Host Name : miltonkeynes
    Primary Domain Suffix : England1.Earth.com
    DNS server list :
    Sent update to server : 192.1.1.1
    IP Address(es) :

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS server failed the update request. The most likely cause of this is that the authoritative DNS server required to process this update request has a lock in place on the zone, probably because a zone transfer is in progress.

You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator."

When I look under "forward look-up zones" on the DNS server, it still has the ip address and old account of the previous computer...

Any ideas on how to tidy this up properly?? :blink

Cheers,

L

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Yes this is a standard task for 2003 administration...

1. Reset the computer account under the Active directory users and computers.

2. Rejoin the new computer to the domain. [including reboot]

Explanation:
    The hidden machine service account between the pc and the authenticating DC is out of synch. This can occur in the situation you outlined.

Also if you restore a DC from an old tape after you added several PC's to a domain you may need to rejoin the new pc's to the domain.
    [admittedly an uncommon occurrence]

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

You could also remove the record by hand. Eventually it will be removed automatically by the garbage collector (no joke) but you could also force that part.
    Open DNS and right-click on your server icon. You will find options as set scavenging options and clear cache.
    Under properties you will find an other scavenging option under advanced.
    HTH.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...Thank you!! :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE