DNS and DHCP: which to study first for 291?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by steve_f, Nov 5, 2008.

1. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

The MS book teaches DNS first, and DHCP second.

CBTnuggets and the Sybex book teach them the other way around.

Any opinions? Thanks

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

This signifies that whichever way, you still get to do them both. So the point is to get a sound understanding of both regardless of how the materials present them...

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi Steve,

My normal study routine is read the MS Book then follow the CBT Nugget to reinforce this information. Again, I followed this on the 70-291.

In hindsight I would recommend the other way round, it is ALOT clearer in the CBT Nugget and makes more sense (well for me anyway),

So I recommend CBT Nugget then MS book.

Hope that helps.

Craig

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would second the CBT option a long with the MS press book. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Makes no difference which way round you study them. They're both essential, so you'll have to know 'em inside out. FWIW, there's not really that much to DHCP, so it might be easier to do that first, then move onto DNS as there's far more detail to understand with DNS

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sorry I don't see your point, don't they go hand in hand? If your learning about one then you must know about the other doesn't matter which way you learn it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Thanks everyone. It may have seemed like an odd question to some.

I'm going through the book and the CBTnugggets at the same time.
    I watch the videos on my commute to work, read the book on my lunch hour, and do the labs from the book in the evening on my VMware lab which I have got up and running.

I have covered DHCP now and realised there wasn't much in there I didn't know or that wasn't obvious/self explanatory. I have skimmed the DNS chapters in the book, but I'm starting to see that practical DNS experience is going to be what drills it into my hea.

Thanks again.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  9. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

--------
    bump didn't think my question this should need a new thread
    --------

I started with DNS for 70-291. Is DNS the biggest subject in the 291 ?

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I also find watching video's (such as Nuggets and Trainsignal - i was amazed how much IT stuff was on youtube the other day!) and then reading "the manual" is my preferred way.

I can recommend this book from O'riley help for the 291.

But to answer your question, I would agree that DHCP could be covered first.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

edit: gone off CBT Nugget DNS video He talking to Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast
    ta for link to book Boyce

O can't edit my old post