District 9

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

I liked it, more importantly the girlfriend found it rather amusing.

its was not what i expected but it was good.

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Did you see it in real life or in a dream where there was a plot with some acting involved?:eek:

I recall the night during which my mate and I made the unfortunate choice of watching Battlefield earth, half way through the film we came to the conclusion that it was dross but like a channel swimmer who had swum half way across we decided that we had gotten to that far that we may as well endure the rest, what followed was another hour of John Travolta and Forest Whitaker mincing around on 3ft high goth boots and Barry Pepper (Johny Goodboy Tyler) getting his rocks of on a machine that teaches him how to count to 10 and talk wookie wookie.

It mercifully ended with one of the humans sacrificing himself by taking out the alien planet with a nuclear bomb at this point we were wishing we could have joined him.

We to this day still do not mention that shameful evening, it's too painful!

So bear this in mind before watching 2012, it made Battlefield seem like Shawshank!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Agreed. I liked BE for what it was, something you dont necessarily have to invest a lot of brainpower to follow the plot. Hancock was good too. havent seen 10kBC yet though.

If you truly want ****, watch Kung Fu Hustle.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

The only well groomed scouser? not bloody likely. :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. cisco lab rat

:eek:

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ha ha I don't know if I should be insulted or feel complimented. . . . funny tho :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Warning! Spoilers!

I watched District 9 with my daughter and daughter-in-law awhile back. I liked the documentary aspect about it, giving the audience the feel of how the Earth people viewed and treated the prawns. It had a little too much of the "gross" factor for my tastes and I eventually stopped watching. I'd read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, so I know how it turns out. Watching some poor guy turn horribly into an alien a bit at a time just isn't what I call entertainment. That said, for a lot of people, I can see how it would be considered a good film.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. cisco lab rat

District 9 is Franz Kafkas' "The Metamorphosis" for the 21st century with added special effects and Robots.

9. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

I actually saw this movie about 3 weeks ago at my parents and must say the concept really appealed to me.

It's biggest fault however was the use of the word F**k all the way through! Sitting next to my parents and having never used foul language in their presence for my whole life, I was extremely embarassed to be watching this with them:eek::eek:

I think it is certainly a film to watch but would personally not watch it again for those very reasons!!

It is also a good movie to watch once (Without the oldies!) but is not worth revisiting. :blink

~Ati~

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCDST
  10. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

Ps.....

Sorry for any spelling mistakes.. I have one on me tonight and my keyboard is taking the brunt of it!:twisted:

~Ati~

(I am such a pleasant person really.....):oops:

11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

***Cough*** What do you class as 'oldies'? :blink

12. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

Ouch.... Can see myself getting into serious trouble here......:twisted:

Well my dad is 60 this year.... so I am guessing I class oldies at his age :p

~Ati~

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  13. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Anyone 23+ :wink:

*runs*

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Wow you must be a pleasant person to never swear in front of your parents. I try not to but there are occasions where a decent swear word is not only needed but often called for.

My mother (who is 66 this year) understands perfectly well that her ex soldier of a son swears and accepts it.
    It's actually harder to remember when my 2.5 year old is around that I have to speak nicely (please don't misunderstand, I am not all effing and blinding but there are occasions where the air can and does turn blue, just not around my beautiful son).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Prepare to die.... :twisted:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

He should prepare to die even harder considering I am much older than that!!:twisted:

~Ati~

17. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Cmon then spill, how old are you Sparky? :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  18. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

I was brought up to respect my elders... Please don't mis-understand as I do realise backrounds can vary quite a bit, but I would never use a swear word in front of my parents.. I think in my whole life I have only done it once... and i regretted it every day since!

I thing teenagers and young people these days do not have the values we did 10 years ago or even as less a 5 years ago.

I hope if I ever bring children into this world they would have the same values as me... Respecting your parents is a must!

~Ati~

19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Oh I do understand the respect angle, I respect my parents (for reasons I won't go into here they are currently looking after my son during the week whilst my wife and I work, if I didn't respect them I wouldn't entrust my son to them). I also agree about peoples values today, I would like to think that I do have some pretty decent values, just that they sometimes include the odd swear word.

Working in the IT industry I would be surprised if you didn't swear when\if something didn't go right.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  20. Atiaran

Atiaran Bit Poster

I totally agree, and I do swear myself! But I do it in places I am certain I won't be overheard or quoted on by others! I am by no means perfect and often express my feeling with more than a "little" vigour but I always ensure the circumstance calls for it before I "release" !!8)

~Ati~