distance learning

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mel101, Oct 5, 2006.

1. mel101

mel101 New Member

Hi everyone,
    just recently found this site accidentally looking for other people looking to get certified.
    Im new to the IT world but really want to learn more, but because I work full time college isn't really an option.
    So Im considering distance learning with computeach because
    I want to get A+ certified, the only downside is the course they selected wasnt just a compTIA A+ they also threw in a CCNA and a CCNP all part of the same course costing a grand total of £5,750.00 can all of that be achieved from a home learning course and is it worth the price?
    Something else that put me off is that the sales guy became very pushy almost aggressive when i told him i wanted more time to think about enrolling. Any input would be appreciated thanks.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Yes - you can get those certs by self-study. However the CCNA and CCNP are *not* easy, and you would need some kit at home to practise on.

Of course the salesman got pushy - that's his bonus he is seeing vanish! Always remember that these people are in it for *money*.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to the sweaty baboons armpit :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You don't just 'throw in' CCNA and CCNP with A+.

That's like going to Halfords for a bottle of engine oil and them saying they'd throw in a car and an jumbo jet.

You need to be realistic about the balance - what you can achieve vs what will help you find a job.

A+ on its own may not open many doors for you, but what is it you actually want?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685