Distance Learning - Computeach Vs. Advent

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Macevelli, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Macevelli

Macevelli New Member

Hi All,

I am looking to start a career in IT. I currently work in retail but it isn't what I want to do at all as I have always wanted to work with computers, so I have looked into home learning, distance learning etc with companies which help you get qualifications and a job also. I did a City & Guilds in Web Design at a local college 5 yars ago and found that the lack experience was what stopped me getting into IT, so I have decided to look towards joining one of these companies to help me get what I need to enter IT as a career. I have contacted many, but the two Im most impressed with are Advent or Computeach, both have had people visit me at home and assess me, and both want to take me on.

After reading in forums, I am getting mixed views from forum users about both of these. Personally, for me to commit to a course ( I will be doing Networking - CompTIA A+, MSCE/MSCE etc ) at the cost that it is especially within todays 'recession', its a BIG risk so I want to make sure that I make the right choice from the very beginning.

Can anyone help me choose, or is it blatently obvious to people who know the industry which one to go with?

Any help would be most benefitial to me,

Thanks

Certifications: C&G Diploma in ICT Systems Support
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Post approved and bumped to the top.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums, Distance learning and course by both of these companies have been widely discussed on the forum and with the aid of the search function all shall be revealed....:D

However to address your question directly both a reptuable, and when faced with a similar choice I went with Advent -they seemed to offer a better mix.

What I will say is becareful when you sign, they will provide assitance in finidng a job and with some additoinal resources but you are paying a lot for this service, it is up to you if you feel it is worth it.

The MSCE track is a very popular one and one, which in hindsight, is misrecommended. To put it into perspective Microsft recommed that you have 2 years of server experiance before you even look at the MCSE stuff, contrast that with the fact that Advent want you to do the course in about two years and you have yourself an interesting dilema.

As for the cost I have seen reports of it costing between £5000 - £6500 which is a hell of a lot of money - espically at the moment, to put that into perspective are are the costs of the certfications you will be doing:

2 x A+ exams £180 - £200
    2 x MCDST exams £160
    5 x MCSA exams £400
    2 x MCSE exams £160

Study materials at £50 per book £550

Exam preperation software £600 - £1000

Total Cost: £2470. Now even if you pay for classroom based courses from your local college of tec for the first few to get you into the industry and for some recruitment consultants to go over your CV you are still going to have chnage from £3000

That is one side, the other is that you have a structured ciriculum with a recognised national training provider which can help you land jobs.

The decision is yours, but either way I hope you will stay arround on the forum and share your views.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012