Dissertation stuff

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, May 29, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi all, hows tricks

Im stuck with no where to turn and i need to pick peoples brains from here. I need to do 2 things, i firstly need to do 1500 words on a dissertation topic etc, explaining what route ill take how ill go about things etc and so on , then i need to do a dissertation on the actual topic i choose. This is where i get stuck, on the topic. I dont have a clus when it comes to picking stuff like this ive always been indecisive.

One topic i though of was should the internet be regulated, and for this i would try and give argument for and against, and also i would set out a questionnaire for people to answer etc. But am i leaving my self open to too much interrogation from the tutors. I really need a pointer in how to go about picking a subject, any ideas would be great.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

are there any limitations as to what topics you can choose?

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I didn't have to do a final dissertation but I did have to do a 1500 word report on any subject related to my HND.

I did why Oracle was far superior to access when it came to relational database development.

If I was to do a dissertation I would do it on a subject I found interesting and one that I knew very well, make sure you research your arguments as your thoughts on something may not be correct (but you can put these are my thoughts and why I think them).

Also if you are going to get peoples opinions make sure its represented well like in a graph or pie chart etc.

hope this helps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Personally I wouldn't expect a questionaire to qualify as a Computer Science or IT dissertation, I'd expect you to design or build something that works. The work undertaken should therefore make a presentation or thesis easy as it would provide you with a lot to talk about.

5. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Do you have to make an artifact? If you do, you need to program something...

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I don't think that he would just submit the questionaire as his dissertation, rather use the info gathered as reseach for his dissertation. When I was doing my degree, for our dissertation we either had to produce a 15,000 word dissertation or a 12,000 word one with a working program.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi again folks cheers for your feedback on this

There is no limit to what i can choose tho to make things easier it would have to be IT related. I spose the reason i am thinking of the internet regulation question is that ithas plenty of avenues to go down and a fair bit of coverage etc. I originally was going to try and do something on quantum computing but thought better of it, tho i do find it fascinating, id still not know where to start.

In regards to the questionnaire it would be supporting evidence to what i was researching rather than just giving my opining, i would have other opinions from a broad spectrum of people.

we have been given the choice of project or dissertation, and i have chosen dissertation due to id find it more enjoyable, if i can use it in this sense, as a project in my eyes would be best done in a team.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Uugghh.... the very word brings back horrible memories!!:eek:

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

If possible write about a subject you are passionate about, and have a reasonable knowledge depth, but i think the regulated internet idea is a bit of a minefield, as the Phorm issue (and where many suspect it is leading us) is showing us

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

LOL - I know what you mean, I used to cringe when someone would ask me that dreaded question, so how's your dissertaion going and have you finish it!:dry

:hhhmmm mmmI'm not sure about doing on the internet though? Maybe hackers and security systems or network systems?? Or even maybe the big question is there a place in the IT market for graduates?

A question that seems to be asked which is better certs or degress??:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good point:rocks

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

First off, there are no shortcuts to a good dissertation. Whichever topic you choose should be one that encourages research and learning. When I was a student I put forward a proposal for a dissertation that was rejected on the grounds that it wasn't challenging enough. I ended up developing an neural network to diagnose the various forms of multiple sclerosis, which required me to polish-up on my knowledge of neural nets significantly and dive into neuroscience to learn about neural cells, their structure, how they nourish themselves, how that communicate, etc. I recall buying an entire cell biology book so that I could not only learn about MS, but also contrast the structure of my NN with that of the biological brain.

The key to getting all this done was:

1. I had a passion for the subject.
    2. It could be done, but I couldn't bluff my way passed the project.
    3. It kept me very, very busy.

Dissertations are supposed to be challenging. Don't be scared of it - embrace the challenge and get that degree! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's no escaping that... they're not gonna let you off scott free just because you picked a good topic... they're gonna interrogate you one way or another. The point of a dissertation defense is simply this: can you logically defend whichever viewpoint you take? If so, you're good to go. You don't have to be *right*... you just have to be able to defend your viewpoints logically.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Know what you mean mate, my dissertation was 20,000 words! :eek:

Then there was a final presentation.... :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs