Display No Ways!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Davver, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

Hey Yall, sorry for long long time not being around. Probably forgot about me anyways lol.

Right, I got this problem that I have spent the better half of 2 weeks trying to sort out, what with work and all.

I was surfing the net when everything froze up. The images where still on the screen but mouse control, keyboard input functions etc just binned out.

- I have swopped 3 mobos (generous friends and family, not lottery win)

- 2 PSU's, 2 CPU's. Memory and CPU tests on other systems (all normal)

- Jumper settings checked and checked again, plus wiring. 3 graphics cards (2 ATI and 1 Nvidia Brand New)

- Checked all Voltages both in computer systems and periphirals
    - Checked voltages in household sockets, all normal.

Here's where I think I messed up. Very amature I know but hey ho! I decided to partition my drive (only use one) with Partition Magic 8, then forgot and used F-Disk (not a clever mix). Oh and then, like a muppet, I decided to flash the BIOS, without making a backup (DUURR! :oops:)

This is where I think things have gone wrong. Do you think I need to totally format my HD as I think it's ruined? I have unplugged every drive and taken out all cards (except graphics card) but still get the same message. There are no POST beeps at all (which I hope hasn't corrupted the CMOS and BIOS). The HD Drive light comes on and I here her runnning and the Floppy light stays on but I have no access to POST or BIOS. Er, what's the word here...... help?

Certifications: Diploma IT
    WIP: A+
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

clear the CMOS first of all 9read the mobo manual!!) and yeah perhaps formatting the HDD might just help...clear the CMOS on any of the mobos u try just in case...am sure others will have other solutions soon...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - reducing to the essentials:

With *no* drives (hard and floppy) connected there is no beep? If this is the case then I suspect the flash is bad. Without a backup this is sometimes terminal for the motherboard - depends on the model.

Do you know of anybody with a PostCard? This can sometimes help to determine if the processor is starting.

My personal view is not to flash unless there is a compelling reason!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

:blink Thanks chaps, made a right mess here I know!

Don't have a Post Card, but I do have the D-Bracket that came with my MSI Neo Platimun Mobo. All lights are out, which apparently means the CPU is fried, but my mate has put it in his (CPU that is AMD64) and it works dandy!? It just seems like the power is somehow distorted and is mixing things up, but I go with the flash thing right now. I know I can downgrade the flash back to it's factory originals, but with no drive support and no way of actually getting in, it damned hard! I know of Blind Flashing but it is exactly that... Blind!

:oops: boo hoo :( :cry:

5. hbroomhall

Try noel's suggestion of a BIOS reset - it might help here.

Harry.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, the chances of three mobos all having a corrupt BIOS is pretty unlikely IMHO.

Have you tried another keyboard and mouse? :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Im a bit confused as to what your problem is. Are you still getting your original problem of the PC hanging, or can you not get past POST?

If it's happening on 3 different motherboards, it aint the motherboard or the BIOS.

It sounds like you have checked everything but your HDD and OS.

Repartition, format and install an OS on the orginal HDD and if it still dont work, try another one.

May be worth booting your computer up in 'safe mode with networking' and seeing if your computer still hangs, given that you can get past the POST.

Neall

8. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

Thanks for your replies guys.

The real bug in this is I can't even get to POST and with no display, I can't phisically see why? I'm going to wipe my HD tonight and see how it goes. I've been keeping a log of this problem so I can post it here. Maybe it would help with analysis for exams. Hopefully, I can sort this out as it's wrecking my head (and wallet).

If anyone else has any odeas, please let me know. At this stage, I'll try owt!

9. hbroomhall

Er - how do you wipe a HD if the machine won't boot? IMHO wiping a HD is a waste of time here.

You have made a lot of statements about what you tried, but not exact changes. Without knowing what you have actualy done it is impossible to guess what may be wrong.

My *guess* is that some combination of kit is fried, and you haven't made enough notes to see from the various tests which is which.

What you need to do is test each component separately on known good kit and winnow out the good from the bad.

Of course you have to pay attention as to what will theoreticaly work with what, random combos almost never work.

You haven't mentioned models of anything, so it is a bit hard to make suggestions!

Harry.

10. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

Well,

After checking my HDD on my fathers computer and formatting the drive, reinstalling my windows 2000Pro, I'm still getting the mesage of "No Video Display"?

It looks like I'll have to get a new BIOS chip as I think it is toast!

I'll keep you posted!

Dav

11. hbroomhall

What are the precise words that appear on the screen? Is it actualy "No Video Display"? (That phrase is fairly unusual!)

It sounds as if the VGA card is not being initialized. Does the machine beep on boot? If not then the processor is probably not starting. If it does beep then a reset of the BIOS is probably needed to get it to detect the VGA card.

Harry.

12. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

Thanks for your words Harry!

Yes, that is the exact message that the Monitor displays.

I am now getting a post beep which is 3 long beeps! I am using Phoenix BIOS and have checked several sites and none of them cover 3 beeps. They show 1-1-2 (1 beep PAUSE 1 beep PAUSE then 2 beeps) I'm getting 3 long beeps with pauses, which is not covered? Quizzickle to say the very least.

The processor has been checked and is working fine. One of my friends is lending me one of his spare Gigabyte Boards tonight so I'm going to check that.

I have reset the BIOS several times, even leaving the CMOS battery out over 24 hours, on advice. But still no way!

Dave

13. hbroomhall

Beeps mean the processor is starting, but not getting very far in this case.

Phoenix seems to have the most complicated sets of beep codes about - I would prefer to use a postcard on such a board!

Unless you can match the beep codes it won't be easy to say what the problem is.

Harry.

14. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Try using different RAM, as that is prob the only constant, especially if the graphics controllers is onboard.

Also are you using an AGP graphics card and is it correctly installed?? - could also be a crook graphics card.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  15. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

Unlikely to be 3 dodgy graphics cards and my RAM has been tested on 3 different boards with no problems at all. I've never heard of this POST Card you mention? Where can I gert one?

Dave :eek:

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This question came up recently in another thread. From memory, I think Harry suggested Maplins.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. hbroomhall

My post was here .
    Maplins don't seem to do these any longer. :(

Harry.

18. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

First of all, I would like to say thank you to all of those who put some input in. Problem is now slved and the culprit found!

After getting a new motherboard from one of my really nice freinds, it came to my attention that on my MSI board, one of the memory slots (1 of3) was actually damaged, plus a knackered HD and broken graphics card (burnt out chip). It sounds like it's been kicked around the room!

Anyway, I replaced the hard disk and reinstalled Windows. Hoorah! Problem was, as soon as it was about to go into the desktop, I got the BSOD and the message telling me I have a damaged hard disk! The GPU was fried and black, underneath the fan!

I have now a new HD and now have XP on that disk :dry and it's working (fingers crossed) so far!

The main culprit in this was............... POWER SUPPLY. I found it was spiking, causing over voltages to the mainboard, forcing the said components to work harder than they safely should. I got a new PSU and problem solved. All in all, it was an expensive experiment and lesson, about £300 in lost components to be precise!

Well, all sorted now and thanks again troops :biggrin

Dave

19. hbroomhall

I'm glad you now have it sorted - but that sounds a rather expensive repair!

Harry.

20. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

Yup, all the gear I had in it was expensive at the time of purchase but now you get em free with a McDonalds promotion Booklet!