Diskless Clients + Terminal Services..

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Jellyman_4eva, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi,

I have been looking at implementing some diskless clients for a while, as I have a number of low end machines, which I will not bin as they work!!

I have been playing around with this in Redhat Enterprise 4, and I have also seen Linux Terminal Server Project which is a similar kind of idea.. (And there is another project which patches this, so the machine boots using rdesktop straight into a windows logon on a windows terminal server...)

Before I go any further though, I would really appreciate if someone could explain how:

A terminal server actually works?? How do multiple people work on it?! How does it save system wide changes etc..!

A diskless client is able to work properly when the system nfs share is set to read only...! (I know this is something to do with how it is mounted by the client and its snapshot folder but I cannot see the relevance...)

I would rather know how these things work before going ahead!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

so you want us to give you a full terminal services training, that it? :blink :twisted:
    anyway, maybe it's best if you read up on some docs first: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/serveros.mspx (this is of course microsofts implementation of terminal services)

[edit] posted the wrong link. this is what i wanted to post: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/technologies/featured/termserv/default.mspx

3. Jellyman_4eva

It depends on what you mean by training!

I can easily find on the net the how to implement terminal services..

What I cannot find is an explanation of how the theory or concepts of it work...

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

5. Jellyman_4eva

Hi again,

Thanks for that link, I shall read it through now... (I admit I was a little confused with the other link you sent!)

I fully understand what TS does in terms of allowing more than one user to remotely run applications etc as if they were sitting and running them at their own machine, but how does the system get around the issues of file locking and that kind of problem...

Also I am little curious as to who you are D-Faktor, as you have so little in your profile to go by, (Like how much experience/certs etc) but I have read several of your messages and you seem to have a large amount of knowledge...!!

EDIT: I guess my question is... whereas linux is a true multi-user system, the windows systems do not appear to be multi-user in quite the same way... hence the need for terminal services... so how is each way achieved... its really an OS architecture type question..!

6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

well, i try to keep a low profile. i feel that my persona or my alphabet soup isn't really that important. if you're really curious, my certs include mcsa/mcse: messaging 2000 + 2003, mcsa/mcse: security 2000 + 2003, mcdba, cca (xp2), ccna, and itil. currently i'm gathering study materials for lpi.
    as for my experience, it's not that extensive actually. about 10 years professionally. during my brief career i skyrocketed through helpdesk to desktop support to junior admin to senior admin quite fast. i am currently senior sys admin / project manager for a large multinational.

well, windows 2003 already has a multi-user kernel, whether terminal services is installed or not. this multi-user kernel was developped for windows nt4 terminal server, and was implemented into later versions of windows server. each user logs on to a unique individual session, where most of their actions have no impact on other user sessions. executables and drivers are loaded per session. of course if data files like ms access databases, are opened by multiple users, you will still encounter locks and/or errors.

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Glad you researched on D-Faktor.. Once you have settled in, you notice that there are a quite few knowledgeable and experienced users here, where they have little in their profile... Do not underestimate them, they are extremely knowledge in their field, nevertheless, hope you find the answer to your post...

8. Jellyman_4eva

I am being made aware of that fact!!!