Disk Management

Discussion in 'Software' started by simongrahamuk, Oct 13, 2005.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, over the last few days I've had problems with my file server and have had to rebuild it (see this thread).

The way that is was set up before was 4 disks set up with RAID 5. One of the disks some how got totally screwed up, and needs replacing under warranty.

In order to get the server up and running as quickly as possible I have had to use two of the disks as a spanned drive, as creating a RAID 5 disk was taking far to long.

Now What I'd like to know is if there is a way to add the third disk to create a RAID5 disk rather than just a spanned volume, as I can't seem to see a way in disk management of doing this with out breaking the existing volume, and recreating, meaning that I would have to restore all data.

I should have mentioned that this is all being done through software.

:blink

2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

By the sounds of things it looks to me as if you are going to have to restore all the data, as far as I know there is no way of converting a spanned volume into a RAID 5 volume.

Replacing the hard drive that got screwed should have still allowed you to access the data on the disks whilst it was rebuilding/re-syncing itself, might have slowed things down a little in the process but it would have been do-able.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah, it should of been, but I think the power cut somehow did more than just damage that disk, so I eventually had to rebuild.

I just guess what I'll do then is keep the spanned volume, which is working with all of the data restored to it, and used the other two disks to create a spanned mirror until I can get some downtime to set it up as RAID 5.

8)

4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

nope, no way to go from spanned to RAID that I know of.
    Definitely not if you're using Windows software RAID

and please say you're not using Windows RAID .. its so sucks... its a recipe for disaster...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm Sorry, but I can't. I know it sucks, but they just wouldn't give me the money to buy a decent server. :cry: