Disk Management

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Sneakydave, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

The spare PC I have been using to practice my Win XP Pro on has to be given back soon so I am thinking about setting my main PC up as a dule boot machine. I am planing to run XP Home edition as the main OS and my 120 day evaluation version of XP Pro as the other OS.

My 120 Gig hard drive has 1 partition on it which uses the whole drive does anyone know if it is possible to devide this partition into 2 or more without loosing all my data/settings etc. or will I have to back everything up, and start from scratch?

Dave

WIP: MCSA 70-270
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

haven't done much with partitioning mate, just a re-format but HERE'S
    some free partitioning tools, and HERE is an easy to follow, step by step article on doing it . enjoy mate! :D

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. GeorgeZip

GeorgeZip Bit Poster

I've not used any partitioning software since the days of Windows 2000 but one thing I will say it make sure you BACKUP anything important first..

I might be stating the obvious but things can and do go wrong.. In fact I'd recommend you backup the stuff you want to keep then go for a clean reinstall flattening the partition structure, that's my 2 pennies worth anyway..

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Gotta agree with George, Back it all up, and re-install.
    During the reinstallation process you can specify the sizes of partitions.

8)

5. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

I thought that was going to be the consensus of opinion thanks all :)

6. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

Well I found a spare 60 Gig hard drive partitioned that with 2 partitions and installed XP pro as a dual boot system, loveley!

I have unfortunatly discovered another problem the evaluation version of XP Pro that comes with the course book will only allow activation once per product key. I will try to activate it by phone and hopefully they will look kindly upon my situation. I will keep you posted.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

doesnt it give you like 30 days without requiring activation? just dont activate it!
    why activate a trial unless you have to? if your gonna just kill it and rebuild a few times anyway?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Good luck with that. You'd think that an evaluation version for learning purposes should let you install it over and over...

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Dave,

Just picked up on this thread. As fas as I am aware you can create partitons within Windows by using Partition Magic should you find the need to do so again. Some people don't like using it and say it can cause problems. At least if you partition from scratch using XP's partitioning tool you know where you stand.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

You only get 14 days in which to activate windows with this disk for some reason. I have a sneeking suspicion that the file containing the activation date is going to be on the primary partition ie drive c: (where I have XP home installed) meaning that if I format and re install the D: drive the 14 days won't be extended. I concidered groveling to keep the PC I originaly installed it on but that has had a hard ware failure :rolleyes:

I will tell my sob story to Microsoft tomorow :cry: and hope they take pity on me.

I thaught so too Pete especially as I was going to install it over and over trying out some of the automated instalation tools!

TTFN

Dave

11. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

Dave is happy, Microsoft were happy to Activate Windows once I had explained my problem to them.

It is worth bearing in mind that if you want to install format and re install windows several times from the evaluation software that comes with the book you should do this before you activate it.