Disabling 'Recover Deleted Items' in Outlook 2007?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Luddym, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

We currently have Office 2003 deployed and thus users use Outlook 2003 for their E-Mail. We had some issues a while back of users deleting their E-Mails and clearing them from their 'Recover Deleted Items' so that certain things couldn't be traced.

We deployed THIS via GPO and it worked a treat. But... we are now starting to upgrade machines to Office 2007 and thus Outlook 2007, and this GPO doesn't work with Outlook 2007.

I can't seem to find anything that will allow me to block the ability to delete items from recovery in Outlook 2007. Has anyone here been able to do this?

Many thanks in advance guys.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

havent tried it with 2007 but you could always turn journalling on on your exchange server so that a copy of every email in and out of the server is kept. That way it doesnt matter what users delete there is always a copy somewhere. NB: It pays to archive the journal as it gets big very quickly :D

Jiggy

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ludd - Can you not just configure this where it should be set - ie via Deleted Item Retention policy in Exchange? This is best practice and allows you complete control over when deleted items are retained irrespective of wehther the user hard deletes them.

Failing that, the setting you're looking for can be maanged within Outlook 2007 directly - go to:

Tools -
    Trust Centre -
    Add-Ins -
    Then click the 'manage' button and select 'Exchange Client Extension'
    Disable/Enable 'Deleted Item Recovery' as applicable

Zeb

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I agree with zeb, I would setup a policy in Exchange and apply it to your mailbox stores.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I thought that was the retention policy in Exchange Server? If a user deletes an item then it will sit in the 'Recover Deleted Items' area for x amount of days depending on how the retention policy is configured.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You could always install the Office 2007 admin templates. I'm sure there would be a setting you could make with GPOs.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

Where I work, everything has to be done 'just so'.

Unfortunately this isn't going to be an option as it was discussed when we were setting up Exchange. Performance and space on the server is the issue.

Thanks for that Zeb, I think it is what I'm going to have to do.

The only problem is that we have savvy users that could well know how to turn it off, which wouldn't really work for us.

I was playing with this a couple of days ago. I downloaded the outlk12.adm file and imported it into a GPO, but the problem is that when you navigate to 'Disable command bar buttons and menu items' and then enable it and Enter the command bar ID of 5654, it does nothing.

Here's where I'm playing (or should I say carefully testing) in the dark though as i know the entry for the same setting in 2003 would be '5654', but don't know what the entry should be for Outlook 2007.

It's probably not a huge issues as I can do what Zeb suggested, but I know it will come up again as soon as we roll out Office 2007 properly, and people start playing.

8. zlatan24

zlatan24 Banned

I heard about not bad application- *READ SPAM*, tool recover Outlook files and recover Outlook messages from corrupted *.ost files of Microsoft Exchange versions 5.0, 5.5, 2000, 2003,Runs under all Windows operating systems starting from Windows 98 (Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows XP); The Outlook PST recovery tool compatible with Windows Vista,increases your chances to successfully recovery for Outlook data from corrupted Microsoft Outlook pst files that seemed permanently lost manifold.

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What's that got to do with this thread? Away with you spammer... lest you feel the wrath of my size 9

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Bloomin Spammers!

11. bartailla

bartailla New Member

Hello There,
    Outlook items are so important for every user using Outlook. Number of times it happen when user loses his/her item from Outlook. All the items are saved in the PST file and due to any reason if PST file gets corrupted then all the items in it gets corrupted. But, no worries you can easily do
    Outlook deleted items recovery. For the task you need to download the software and the software will facilitate you with recovery features.

<spam>

Regards
    Bartailla

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013