Direct apply for job if agency getting no response

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by djw, Apr 13, 2013.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Here is a quick question, if you have applied for a job through an agency and the agency are saying that they are getting no updates or responses about the CV's that they have sent over, would if be bad form to aply for the job directly through the companies web site as it is still listed as open there? Or could I contact them to ask if it is still available? Would this put the agencys nose out of joint or are the agency telling porkies I wonder?

Actully that is more a series of quick questions ��.

Thanks.

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I would say to only ever apply for any particular job via one route. Never use a second recruitment guy, never go direct if you have already gone through a recruiter. If a company already has your CV don't let a recruiter try and send it again.

All of those things lead to awkward conversations where the recruiter and the client both agree to throw your CV away.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Also you should remember that a lot of places leave job postings up even when they're in the interview process until a final decision is made then they take it down. Not to shatter your hopes but it does happen.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You open yourself up for all sorts of hurt if you try and bypass the agency, not just for yourself but also the company as well because they 'could' be sued for breach of contract with the agency if they ever found out that they had bypassed them in the hiring process.

Also as Flash mentions, you only want a single copy of your CV to go through to the company, after all having two copies of the same CV won't improve your chances of getting an interview, only dampen them because they have already seen it before.

I would leave it alone now, if they have your CV and you haven't had a call back then chances are you didn't make the cut and going approaching them after being put forward by an agency is viewed in a dim light.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

All good points, except sometimes agents don't put you forward for a job, in which case I think its fine to apply direct.

However as you mention its a very complicated situation to manage and in general you most likely won't get the job if the agent refused to put you forward anyway.
    Companies tend to prefer dealing with agents and letting them do the initial screening, regardless at how good or bad they might be at it.

Also agencies regularly tell porkies, so make of that what you will.

6. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

You can always just call HR and verify they got your application.
    I did that with my last one because it was an online application.
    I got that job.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  7. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Many thanks for the responses, all are very valid points. The Agency have said that they have sent CV's over (including mine) but that they have heard nothing back at all so far (it was 2 weeks ago the CV went over). It could be a few things I suppose (the position has already been filled, it is on hold for some reason, no longer required or the agency is telling porkies) so I will probably just leave it and see if anything happens. I suppose that if you see an open position that seems to be a great fit the I suppsoe you could fall into the trap of persuing it too hard.

Cheers,

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST