Direct applications - who to approach within a company?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ryan, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

Recently I've been applying for jobs through recruitment agencies but the ones I've applied for arent local as there doesnt seem to be any close ones that are at my level of experience.

Hence.....

I've found 1 or two companies locally that ideally i'd like to work for, what i want to do is go and give them my CV explaining that im looking to advance my career in I.T hopefully in the direction of a field engineer of some sort. (im already employed in the I.T sector with 4 years experience but my current employer isnt offering any career advancement)

My question is, who do i ask for within the organisations? bearing in mind that no names are mentioned on any of their websites

Also, perhaps a secondary question. How do i word it correctly. Obviously i can't just walk in and say "i want a job please"

Any help much appreciated

Cheers,

Ryan

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just phone the company and ask who is responsible for their IT and hopefully you will be given the name of the IT manager. Then send your CV with a covering letter. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

is that better that actually going in to see them? @ sparky

also, could you give me an example of a covering letter for this situation? not too sure how to word it you see

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Personally I wouldn’t, IT Managers are busy people (although some people just think they drink coffee and mess around with computers all day!) and might not have the time to speak to you or be pi55ed off that you have turned up without an appointment.

Not sure what to put in the covering letter to be honest but make it is short and to the point. Say how much IT experience you have (in years) and also what kinda job you are after. Perhaps after sending the CV phone the company and ask if you can speak to the IT manager to find out what he\she thought of your CV. Phoning is generally better than tuning up in person as the IT manager can either take the call or speak to depending on how busy they are when you call. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs