Dilemma

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by DapperDan, Jan 19, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then, like I said, studying it is fine so you'll be able to answer those questions. It's the certifying without the experience that is the problematic part. Luke's right.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. BosonMichael

As a quick aside, CBT Nuggets provides a non-transferrable single-user license to use their training CDs. Meaning, your friend can't legally resell them, trade them, let a friend borrow them, or even give them away. It's not his content to give.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  3. DapperDan

DapperDan Nibble Poster

Hi all,

Well, I've been given my first appraisal form to fill in for this new job that I'm in (ICT Support Engineer). I've been in the job 7 months to the day next Monday (previously worked as an Senior Technical Support Analyst for a large law firm for nearly 9 years). To cut a long story short, I left my last place because I was told I'd be doing more server admin/network admin tasks, and it really hasn't worked out quite like that. I'm pretty much doing 2nd line desktop work like I was doing in previous employment.

Concerning the comments made above about my dilemma, I think this is the chance to put forward my feelings and asking for the work I would like to do. The main IT dept (as I work for a company that is in partnership with another law firm, and it is just me and my supervisor) is not in the city centre, but only a couple of miles from where I live. So I am going to suggest if I can do some voluntary work on evenings / weekends with the network guys. I have all the theory when it comes to network and server admin, but not a great deal of practical experience. I wouldn't say no experience, but I'd be lying if I said I had at least 2 years in this field. If I don't ask, I don't get I suppose.

I suppose there is the option of looking for another opportunity outside of my current place, but I've only been here 7 months. And wouldn't it look bad only being in a job less than a year? Although who's to say I'm going to find anything straight away I suppose.

It's made a little harder because my supervisor and the users in the office are brilliant people, but I realise there has to be more. So I think this appraisal is a good way to get my feelings across (in a constructive way I might add). Although at my old place, our appraisals counted for nothing!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    Certifications: ITIL v3; A+, Network+
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

State where you would like your career to go; what you'd like to work on; and the PLAN you have to get there. Mention that you would like to start by volunteering with the network team. Be involved (even if just from an awareness) of projects, and initiatives so you can see what issues regularly need to be dealt with.

5. DapperDan

DapperDan Nibble Poster

Thanks sunn, that's some good advice. I think I'm going to wait until after my appraisal and see where I'm headed, or which direction they'd like me to be headed in. Let's be honest though, if I start putting my CV on job websites and recruiters start calling me up, the first question they're going to ask me is why I'm wanting to leave after just 7 months. Doesn't look too attractive if I was a recruiter, but hopefully it won't come to that and something can be worked out in my appraisal. Money is not an issue (but I wouldn't turn down more obviously :)), but I just want the opportunity to learn new things.

We shall see....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  6. DapperDan

DapperDan Nibble Poster

Well, I have done my self-appraisal form and had a chat with my supervisor. I have asked to shadow the network admin team up at the main office on evening and weekends. He says that shouldn't be a problem and will have a word with the network manager. Said he'll try and get it me as o/t as well, which would be good (as I'm not going to turn down money :)) but I'm happy enough to do this for free. So hopefully something will happen. I may still go back on the job hunt again and see what's out there (not that there is loads of jobs!), but at least I have a clear idea of what my next role in IT should be (should I decide to leave if I get a job offer).

With regards to certs, I'm going down the MCSA route as my experience is more with Windows Server 2003. There's this whole MCITP v MCSA/E debate amongst some of my former colleagues, but from what I can see Server 2003 is going to be around a good while yet. And I think Server 2008 builds on 2003, so it's beneficial to know Server 2003 before stepping up to Server 2008 in my opinion.

7. BosonMichael

Congrats!

Very logical... and I agree. :)