Difficult decision

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Gaz 45, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Right, here's my problem. Been dying to play Half-Life 2 since it was announced a while back. When it was released, promised myself I'd buy it when I got a job, sort of an incentive. I still haven't got a job, so no Half-Life. However, just bought this month's PC Format, and when I got home, noticed it had a two-level demo of HL2 on the DVD. So, here's the decision... play the demo and get my fix, or don't install it and stay true to my promise to myself?

PS This is the biggest problem in my life at the moment (except why an Oxford graduate with 5 A-levels can't get a job), so either i'm very lucky or my life is truly boring!

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I say install the demo and play it. TBH I didn't think Half-Life 2 is as good as people and the reviews make out it to be. It's nowhere near as good as the first one in it's time. Towards the end it gets a tad repetative and there are no real set pieces as in the first game...:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Im awaiting BF2 eagerly, oh yeah
    HL2? Niet, got it free with my ATI card, aint all that, aint even bothered completing yet, saying that an FPS has to be really good to jar me

I do like DoW and R:TW though, cant wait for BF2 and KOTOR2 though :)
    so many games coming out soon, good thing i opened a savings account for just that reason, LOL

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Man, you scared me Gaz! I'm glad that's the toughest thing going on for you right now. I hope it never gets any harder for you than this. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm looking forward to F.E.A.R and S.T.A.L.K.E.R being released they both look class. As I said before I don't think Half-Life is as good as people make out. The level return to ravenscroft (Think it was called that) is really class just a shame there are no set piece as in the first game like the tenticles or them huge monsters otherwise it would of been pure class.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry I can't help you with this as I don't care about FPS's, as I like RTS/RPG's myself. My advice though is to stay true to your promise to yourself. If you can't do this over just a game and only a 2 level demo at that, then all is lost.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Yep, failed miserably, played the demo on Sunday. :rolleyes: Was good though :)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)