different os

Discussion in 'Networks' started by moominboy, Aug 26, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

is it possible to network 2 systems running different os? say, xp and linux? just wondering if they would talk at all, or only limited?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yes it is possible. People do it all the time. Many places have MS Desktops which connect to linux file servers.

8)

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

TCP/IP is the same for both Windows and Linux so yes, they can talk. How you want them to talk and what you want them to share makes things a little more interesting. Is this a rhetorical question or are you trying to accomplish a task?

Just for giggles, I thought I'd post a link about Networking Linux and Windows (clickable link). Have fun. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

purely rhetorical mate, i was thinking of installing linux on my other pc so i could muck around with it and not damage anything on my expensive system and set up a wired network to practise with that too.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

moominboy,

Give yourself some time to learn fundamentals first. Getting Linux and MS machines to talk to each other isn't a trivial task. When you've gotten good at getting two MS machines to talk, and have learned a fair amount about Linux start working on trying to get the two to communicate.

I had my MCSE and had been working with Linux for about 9 months or so before I was able to accomplish the task. That's not saying it will take you that long, but give yourself some time before starting to take on advanced tasks, because integrating the two OS's in the same network is definitely a more advanced task.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1