Difference beteen normal Vista DVD and OEM 32bit DVD

Discussion in 'Software' started by asian_100, Aug 3, 2007.

1. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

Hi ppl

Just wanted to know whats the difference between normal Vista DVD and OEM Vista DVD. I know that OEM Vista DVD is for System Builders. But are there any such differences between these two types? Like do they have different vista tools in them? Which would you recommend of buying and why?

Thanks

2. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Nope, OEM is for 1 system only. Where as a retail copy can be used on more than one. No looks are any different either.

elli

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  3. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

If I install OEM Version on my newly built pc and say if it crashes for some reason some day, can I use the same DVD to install Vista back on to my PC, the same pc?

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

To clarify Elli5on, OEM Licenses are tied to a particular machine. Once installed onto a machine the idea is that it can NEVER be transferred to another machine.

On the other hand, a standard product license is, generally, supposed to be used on a single machine at a time, but its not tied to a machine, so you could delete it from one machine and onto another.

As for the DVD's, the full product and OEM discs are identical, save for the code relating to the license key (You cant enter OEM keys on full product discs).

Additionally, OEM licenses should only ever be sold alongside the purchase of a piece of non-peripheral hardware. These licenses are vastly cheaper than full product and are generally the better option to go for, just understand that you cant change it onto another (different) PC, only the same machine, and that you have to buy hardware with it.

In answer to your other question. you can reload the OEM copy onto the same machine as many times as you like. But Only on the same machine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well... not simultaneously. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!