didnt know where to post this?

Discussion in 'Software' started by shaggy, May 8, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

couldnt really think of a good title for it either so i apologise

anyway, i was at a job the other day and the customers laptop was blue screened and wudnt boot

so, windows disk, recovery console, blocked, because it was a company laptop and he wasnt the admin

so all he wanted was his files then to delete everything else because he hd been on stuff he shouldnt have been:blink

easy enough, did a repair install whih obviously invalidates the admin account etc, so got his files

while i was doing this his wife came in and was like "why didnt u wait for so and so to get back from holiday, he could have bypassed the admin password and the bluescreen and got into it fine"

i was intrigued, could this be done? is it possible? must be something way over my head

anyone shed some light?

thanks

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Linux Boot Disk?

Moved to Software. 8)

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It really does depend on the type of BSOD/PMD error. Sometimes when I get the Blue Screen I use ERD Commander to either fix the registry or do a system restore, if that doesn't work I do have several different Linux boot disk with various utils.

But again I stress, it does depend on the error & some error's a Windows reinstall/repair is the only way.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

ERD commander includes an utility that *changes* any local password. Which isn't quite the same thing as by-passing.

Similar utils can be found on the 'net.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

ERD commander is great but doesnt always work if your PC\laptop doesnt boot correctly, this means you still cant get with recovery console.

Did you try booting in safe mode? Also if its a company laptop why didnt the guy contact them in the first place? Did he have some 'pictures' on it! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Yeah i tried safe mode, that didnt get me past the blue screen

and yeah he didnt return it to the company because he had been browsing 'job sites' and he thought they would check what he was up to

after i recovered his files he destroyed the laptop in a bucket of water:eek:

something more sinister than jobsites perhaps

ill look in to some of the things mentioned, thanks

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+