Did you have IT certs or qualifications to get into IT?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

So this site should be called dontdocertsbeforeyougetyour1stITjobforums.com? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

SimonV I think your site's get a new competitor ha ha

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I started out in ~97, and I had no certs. I did some classes which got me some diplomas, but the first real certs (based on the exam numbers in my sig) were achieved in 2003.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, keep in mind that certs (other than the CNA/CNE and MCSE NT4) weren't big when some of us got into the industry. Few people did the A+ back in '98, but that quickly changed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Indeed!

A few certs wre "in", but I too believe that it's only become more important in the past 7-8 years.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Professional certs? I had none.

Qualification wise... I had my C&G's in Computer Programming (which was PC hardware, PC Software and Networks - not sure why it was called programming), the C&G's in Visual basic, the NVQ 2 in Software Creation, my HNC in Computing and I was still studying for my degree part-time (along with a handful of user certs eg word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc).

The above coupled with a good CV, an IT Manager who could see potential, the softskills developed in other jobs and 5 years waiting for the right job, got my foot in the door :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Of course, that is a good point to make. There have been a few replies from people relatively new into IT who also had no certs or quals so hopefully more members will comment to build a bigger picture. Come on guys

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

I had a degree in Business IT and a 12 month placement under my belt with no professional certs to land my job.

9. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

I think the IT industry today has obviously evolved from when you guys were starting out, or at least in some ways, I have a few basic certs, and plenty of enthusiasm (I've applied for hundreds of jobs, literally) and still not got anywhere, with the few interviews I've had, it's always down to experience! Perhaps I am not applying to the most entry-level jobs out there (most of them are though) but I think demand now for the jobs is certainly different to what it was, say, 10 years ago!! At least from the perspective of someone trying to break into IT :)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

When I landed my first IT role, I had the A+, N+ and mcp exams 70-210 & 70-215.

Although, my employer didn't fully understand what any of them were, so I had to explain to them what each one covered.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I had half an A level in IT

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I had none when I started. I really only got into IT through chance as I was in another job (in another Biotech company) and only found computers and networks through it (back in 2002). It got me interested so I started learning by myself and only found out there were such things like certifications in 2004.

Experience has helped me more than certs have (compared directly) but having certs hasn't hurt either, especially in an industry (Biotech) where just about everybody has a PhD or better in something.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I had half an A+ and was willing to work for peanuts to get my foot in the door.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  14. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

I had A+ and MCDST. At least one of us has what everyone gets advised to have :D

Certifications: A+, MCDST, 70 - 290
    WIP: 70-291
  15. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

I had nothing relevant really got a city & guilds certificate in Level 2 programming in C and VB 4.0 or 5.0.
    Anyway did a bus ticket program for course work and wound up working at an ISP 11 years ago doing 1st line been in support ever since.

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  16. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

No certs, but had a diploma in Programming. First job was call center in a small company. Got into the Helpdesk / Sys Admin department by making contacts with some great people.

17. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I had none, I was mooching around europe, ran out of money, a friend of mine during an idle conversation mentioned a mate of his in italy needed a dogs body, having a body and smelling like a dog off I went to make my fortune sticking green boards into boxes.

I later learnt I was assembling muxes

Lucky break, I fell into something that I love doing

Baa daa bing

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  18. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

So what roles were you guys applying for? Was it roles that specifically said they didn't expect experience and or qualifications? Was it roles that you thought you could do despite not having the qualifications the job advert required? Or was it more luck that you got the role. For example, did you know the interviewer or get a recommendation from a boss for the role or something?

Certifications: BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studie
    WIP: A+
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Field service tech, about 12 years ago. I had 18 years of experience playing with computers and 6 years as the go-to computer guy at my work. I had a degree, but it wasn't an IT degree; it was a Chemistry degree. I had no certifications.

To be sure there is some element of luck involved. Plus, it also helps to know someone in the industry. I found out about the field service tech job by going to lunch with an old co-worker who worked sales for that company. One of the techs who worked there tagged along and told me of the opportunity during lunch. I applied, interviewed, and got the job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. Rich165

Rich165 Bit Poster

Good GCSE's, BTEC in Engineering, Degree in Aerospace....but willingness to learn and passion for what I do has brought me further than any of that! If i'd of only known then!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP Server 08 & Exch07, CCNA, CCNA Sec
    WIP: ...everything else!!