Dialup SUCKS

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

gah! I hate dialup. I forgot just how much it sucks. Recently moved into my new flat (with the ball an chain - scary), which is all cool i spose. managed to get the phone connected today so im using dialup to check my mail, etc. ill have to continue using dialup until such time as i can pick up a broadband connection. but it really, REALLY sucks!!!!!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Just responding through my super quick broadband connection

Must be annoying, I remember using mine.....

LMAO :rolleyes:

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Careful, Callum. You never know when your fortunes might change and you'll be forced to use dial-up. I've only been on DSL for the past 3 months or so. Before that it was dial-up all the way. I sure don't miss those days...but the "modem mating call" always did sound kind of kewl. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think I remember having to use that dialup thing once.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Don't remind me Trip, when i left home for a few months a year
    ago I was back on dial up, and its not until you have no other
    choice you wonder how we all managed with it for so long?

( and how some people do now! )

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I havnt had the misfortune of using Dialup since I was 18 and living in the US for a 6 month stint (that was a downgrade from the 2mb demon ADSL trial i had at home (for free)
    upon my return, I havnt had to use dial up since, its odd, as I cant really imagine using the net if all I had was dial up, its really been that long since I used it, looking at over 5 years now, work has always had a decent connection too, so it all seems a distant blur in the memory
    I do remember taking a a screen shot of over 3gb of downloads I had done in one dial up session (it was a long session :D

I feel for you fergal, even if i cant imagine what it's like anymore :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I remember moving to an area that did not have broadband! I went from 512k back to 56k...gezz it was terrible! I treated the line like an always on connection and ended up getting an email from BT Openworld saying that I was misusing the system alonside with 400 other identified users! I was downloading episodes of Enterprise when it first came out in the states. My line was on the net approx 5 hours constant to download a 100meg re-encoded episode...everytime BT disconnected it Get Right immedietly re-connected! Thats what BT didn't like!

Luckily I moved to another area with TW broadband shortly after the warning from BT.

Never again I hope!

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Only just fired up my first ADSL connection this weekend, so the memory of dial-up is still fresh - I feel your pain, Fergal.

Now beat it - I got a one Meg line to get back to :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Gav's doing his Bill Clinton impersonations again I see.
    Be nice to the "little people", Gav. You never know when they could steal up to your place in the middle of the night with a hammer and a pair of wire cutters and turn your ADSL connection into scrap. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Now that would be funny.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay, well I have to add my woes to this thread :biggrin

I have been on dial up since I first connected to the net in London circa 1998. I moved to Oz in 2001 and then into our brilliant new house. Unfortunately I soon found out that Australia were years behind the UK it was really difficult to find an ISP then, no free ISPs here (remember freenetname Freeserve etc) I couldn't even buy a PC magazine :eek: So, I finally found an ISP that charged more than I had ever paid and wanted to cap my usage to 400megs per month.

I soon found out that even though our ISP supported V90 I could only get a 28k connection :cry: I was studying then and working on PCs all the time at home. I was getting nasty emails all the time because of my unreasonable useage.

Finally a few more ISPs got their act together and started to offer unlimited dial up for the same amount. So, for the past two years I have the luxury of 28k unlimited.

I am part of the GCCC (councils) commitee for broadening broadband here on The Coast but even after campaining for months there is still no ADSL here (or in 1000000 other Australian homes).

Thank goodness Telsra have capped their dial up costs for ISDN, previously it wasn't a financially viable option but now it is.

I got ISDN less than a month ago and I am very happy now. I will churn to ADSL if and when it becomes available but for now ISDN is superb in comparison.

Most people here are still on dial up, so remember that before you bomb an Aussies mail box with funny vids :biggrin

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

now THAT sucks. i feel positively superior now blue, lol. thanks for that!!!!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Ha ha...just thinking about that made me laugh...nice one bluerinse! Very funny...:)

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  14. Elishiva

Elishiva New Member

Oh the pain, sweat and tears :cry: I live in a beautiful part of the country, on the side of a hill with 500 acres and witj my horses, but NO boardband, ISDN or anything, even dial up is a fight sometimes! Is there hope, I hope so... :biggrin looks like we are going to get a satillite connection soon. I have had broadband in the past and miss it so, return to me please I beg. As for the delights of some telecommunications businesses, I find myself teaching them and telling them what they should be doing and can and cant do lol. So guys heres to my new connection and the enlightenment of all comms businesses! Our government needs to remember there are still vast areas of countryside that dont get broadband when they insist that "everyone" or "nearly everyone" can get it. Opps sorry got on a roll there... a little passionate about it!

Certifications: HND in management
    WIP: CIW Foundations/Site Designer/Ecomm
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I think they are pretty accurate when they say 'nearly everyone' if you consider there may only be a handful of people living in your 500 acres (and horses) :D
    500 acres in london would house several thousands if not tens of thousands of people
    ofcourse, we dont get the nice 500 acres of countryside :)

Vast areas of countryside unable to recieve broadband does not equate to vast numbers of people, hence why its country side and not urban sprawl :P

bring on WiMax!

16. Elishiva

Elishiva New Member

Although I partly agree with your countryside comments Pheonix I must also disagree! Within less than five miles there are four villages, two of which are quite large, one of which is the largest village (bigger than some towns) in the UK!!!
    I admit on the estate where I live there are only twelve of us :-) but there are also of course individual houses around the countryside too. This area is full of business owners and directors and many of which (my boss included) would be more than happy to pay for these services to be set up, however certain telecomms businesses just dont seem interested! They dont even know what is and is not possible through their technology!
    It is frustrating at best and more than annoying too, particularly when some people require reliable comms in order to conduct business. Thank goodness I know something about comms, once I have my sat dish setup I am going to be setting up a wireless network so at least the groom, farm manager and other residents can get a better service.

Certifications: HND in management
    WIP: CIW Foundations/Site Designer/Ecomm
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

But theres the key, 5 miles!
    the problem with deploying technologies such as DSL in the countryside is the distances users have between exchanges, whilst there may be an exchange close to you, its probalby very lightly populated, and even with that the % of users wanting DSL on that perticular exchange might not warrant the cost of upgrading it (rather substantial)

whilst these large villages may well have the numbers per exchange, they still need the demand from a percentage of residents, not just a few, I ofcourse would be happy to see DSL provided at EVERY exchange rather than have BT make some parts of the country feel like secondary citizens

My apologies, i thought you meant you had your own 500 acres, chances are if you did, you wouldnt be on a very populated exchange :)
    distance is the primary limitation for villages, as they are often pretty desperced, rather than built up :)

they have made quite an effort to get the rural exchanges populated with DSLAMS if they feel there is sufficient demand, they have these 'meters' if x ammount of people register interest, they go ahead with the upgrade

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/availability/btprereg.asp?order=trig

check there to see if your exchange/area is listed, and if it is but has low interest, see if you can get fellow residents to shwo and interest, BT have proved they will act with consumer demand on this issue

Wireless is one of the technologies that can take advantage of the countrysides openness, whilst it is prohibitave to set up a wireless network in an inner city for instance, where everything and everything reduced the range and power of the access points, you have a free sky to transmit in, allowing you to almost achieve the range advertised (nobody ever can hehe) and with a little tweaking and high gain antennas (directional provide more range/power than omni-directional) you should be able to boost that technology out, sounds like a fun project, good luck with that!! :)