Dial-up for all user accounts

Discussion in 'Networks' started by flex22, Sep 30, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

A colleague at work has just asked me this question.

She has three accounts for herself, her husband, and her daughter.

The problem is, she can dial up to the internet using the icon on her desktop.
    However, the other user accounts cannot access the internet (I presume no icon is present).

I presume the other accounts are basic accounts (not admin), so how do we enable these other accounts access to dial up.

I know that when you install an application, it usually asks "do you want everyone on ths computer, or just you to use this blah blah"
    But I don't recall it asks you this during an ISP setup.

There is probably a simple solution to this, but it's just that I've never had to really deal with multiple profiles on my pc much, so I'm not too up on this.

I'm sure you'll have the answer, so I may preserve my status of "the guy in the office who knows stuff about pc's" :D

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Are the icons in the Dial-up Netwoking folder and if they are can they use the dial-up. The other thing is, is IE setup to use the default connection only. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Which ISP are they using Flex?

You will probably find that the icon that appears on the lady's Desktop is saved in her Profile, if you copy the icon to the desktop of the all users profile then everyone will see it and be able to connect.

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Freeserve nelix, but she's gone over to this (ahh dammit I've forgotten wot tis called and she aint ehre to ask atm) anyway its some thing that makes her calls cheaper.She's been told to put a prefix 0845 number in front of freeserve, but it's not working.
    Anyway that's an aside really.

The first thing I want is to get the conenction in all accounts.
    I will tell her to check IE, thanks AJ.

Nelix, the profiles thing is something I thought about, but tbh explaining that to a 'regular user' hmm I can't really be bothered witht he hassle.

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

flex, normally a prefix to route a telephone number over a cheaper line is something like 147? and then the phone number. All 0845 numbers are is a prefix for local rate calls. Best bet is to get onto the isp's web site and look at their dial-up number.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

That option is right there at the end when you run the XP network connection wizard for dial-up, Flex

EDIT:
    Carrier Pre-select. Normally OK, but can bugger up some connections. However, if she CAN use the connection, then that aint the problem.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Is it a flat monthly fee dial-up account you are using or pay as you go?

0845 for pay-as-you-go
    0844 for the flat fee monthly

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just run the "Make New Connection" wizard under each profile, and use the same username and password on each.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

That's the last thing I told her to do Jak.

Tbh this woman hardly lets me get a word in edgeways, and she's very conflicting about which ISP she is actually with :blink

She reckons she's with GOPlusnet now.She told me she had 0845 number which was costing her a fortune, er no wonder :eek:

She paid some guy 50 quid to come around and install her internet originally, but he didn't even set it up on all user accounts.Plus he told her that her Norton antivirus was cr@p and she should get something else (though he never even recommended anything else).I pointed her in the direction of AVG so maybe she'll take some notice.
    Geez 50 quid, for about one hours work doing pretty much nothing but go through a wizard setup and clearing some spyware from the system.
    Well if they're charging that, I at least want 30 :p

Anyway thanks for the feedback.I'm no longer working with this woman but I may see her from time to time.I'll see how it worked out for her the next time I see her.

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

thats about what i charge flex ;)

70 for Virus and Spyware removal

150 if you attempted to fix the machine before calling me

LOL

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I like that idea Phoenix. Might start doing that myself.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685